Why Does My Cat Occasionally Lift One Of His Hind Legs?

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ever since I've had my cat which is over a year he will often times walk to his scratch post, rub up to it, then very briefly raise his hind leg that is closest to the post. It almost looks like a dog about to pee on the post lol. then every once in a while like today he's leaning against the door just slightly on all fours and fully raises his rear leg in the air that is closest to the door for a second, then back down. He doesn't seem to have any leg issue he runs, jumps around, plays like crazy all without any sign of pain, limp or issue. So what is this about?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have an answer but I want to tune in to hear what others say. My Krista was inappropriately marking for awhile when her teeth were bothering her--a cat cry for help. Now she'll sometimes back up against something in spray position twitches a little but doesn't actually spray. I don't yell at her or scold her for this because that doesn't work so I don't think it's an attention-seeking behavior. And anyway, she's not doing anything wrong. It's her bratty little sister moment, "I'm not touching you!" "What? I'm not spraying!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I should also specify it is a he

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! In case it might be the same thing as what my female does, I will tell you that Feeby for all of the 12 years I have had her, raises her tail and shakes it - like a spraying motion - but thankfully nothing comes out!! At first I thought she did it when she gets excited, but I have seen her do it other times as well.

Not exactly the same as your guy, but close!!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did he grow up with dogs before you met him? Even though he's making with his face and paws maybe he thinks lifting a leg is a necessary step.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The male cats I've seen marking back up to whatever they want to mark and spray. It's the same as described for the lady cats, except instead of trembling, they raise and lower their back feet as they do it.

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine does something like this, only she's female. She'll gently rest her butt against something then start lifting and lowering her leg. For her it seems to be her strange way of expressing love, as she walks up to people she likes and does this...like she's going to pee on us lol. I've also seen her do this to various objects, like she's trying to claim ownership of them.

I've never seen any other cat do this, but mine is a bit of a weirdo. She was taken from her mother when she was less than a month old (former owner got her from a bad breeder) so her habits are definitely odd.

Flibbit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realize I'm 4 years late to this conversation, but it was the first relevant result when I googled "female cat lifting one hind leg", so I'll add to the conversation.

My 2 year old Bengal Rory has been doing this for more than a year, and it's definitely a sign of affection with her, but I had had never heard of this before. She'll rub up against my legs, doing a figure-8 between my feet while I'm standing at the kitchen counter (which is pretty standard cat behavior) and then stand still and lift one hind leg slowly and repeatedly. Her brother doesn't do anything like this even though he's just as affectionate. It could very well be an effort to "claim" as smosmosmo suggested above, that would fit. Rory was spayed at 5 months, so she never had a chance to mark, but maybe it's just the instinct in her little walnut brain =)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there are variants? There is the "I'm leaving the litter box, lets make sure nothing is stuck to my leg" variant. And the "I'm just waking up, lets streccchhh all the important bits!" But near the scratching post? Maybe that one does have something to do with marking, dunno.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah this is really old - it was because he had a luxating patella on his knee and when he was lifting the leg that’s how he was popping it back into place. I had surgery done for him and he never did it again after the surgery.