Why Does My Cat Move Her Kitten

Suelyng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’d really like some advice.... My cat is quite a young mum .... slightly under a year .... she had one baby last Sunday and is coping really well.... our little kitty is thriving.... tonight the mum has tried to move her out of the nest into one of my daughters bedrooms... I have the kitten back and closed the door but she keeps on bringing it out and now is camped outside the door .... what should I do

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, by the way, I don't know if anyone really knows why, in an in-home environment, a cat moves her kitten(s). I think it's some deeply ingrained instinctive behavioral action based on trying to keep the babies safe from predators, even though in your house there aren't any :)

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My advice? Let her keep the kitten under your daughters bed (after you clean out everything and put some towels down for mom and the baby.) That or keep mom locked in the kitten room but create a fort/nest out of a box. Cut a small mom sized entrance onto the side of the box, put a clean towel down there (use unscented fabric softener or non and an extra rinse if your detergent is scented.) Put the kitten into the box and then walk away. If you are really clever and have an extra phone/camera you can tape it up inside the box so you can see the kitten. Hopefully the box will make her feel more secure. * if her nest is by a window perhaps try moving the box to a wall that is connected inside your house? It may be she smells other cats outside or she views under your daughters bed as more secure. :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suelyng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My advice? Let her keep the kitten under your daughters bed (after you clean out everything and put some towels down for mom and the baby.) That or keep mom locked in the kitten room but create a fort/nest out of a box. Cut a small mom sized entrance onto the side of the box, put a clean towel down there (use unscented fabric softener or non and an extra rinse if your detergent is scented.) Put the kitten into the box and then walk away. If you are really clever and have an extra phone/camera you can tape it up inside the box so you can see the kitten. Hopefully the box will make her feel more secure. * if her nest is by a window perhaps try moving the box to a wall that is connected inside your house? It may be she smells other cats outside or she views under your daughters bed as more secure. :dunno:
She seems to have settled back in the original nest /room
..... I’m going to sleep in the room tonight as she tends to follow me around her

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhhhhh she wants grandma nearby! Guess your her babysitter!!!

In the wild(ish) barn cats create colonies. Sister cats often take turns babysitting each other’s kittens so the other cat can go hunting. I think she sees you as part of the family/community/safety and wants you nearby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suelyng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my little Singleton kitty is 3 weeks this Sunday.... when should I start introducing his own litter box and food ?? Will Mum guide him? .he is still obviously being fed by Mum .. he currently sleeps under my daughters bed upstairs.... should I start bringing him downstairs?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be advised that kittens usually do not use the litter box until they begin eating solids, and that is usually after 4 weeks, and many kittens do not wean to solids until 5-6 weeks. Be patient! :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is time to give them a litter box when they start pooping on their bedding.’of course it may take weeks or months for them to fully get it. Using a litter box takes training. If they have an accident, put the poop in the box then clean up the mess with an enzyme cleaner. Also confining them to a small space when not supervised helps them to use the box. Kittens have little bladders and sometimes just want to keep playing (like toddlers) so always having a bathroom/litter box nearby (in the same room) in the same spot, helps. A shoe box filled with non clumping litter or even a food palate box will work. I like the disposable litter boxes with the low entrance to help kittens with little legs get in.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Nature's Miracle Disposable small litter box & a very small plastic drawer sorter. The disposable litter box work great & for three kittens we wound up using 2 boxes before they started using regular a sized litter box (with a step to get in because they were spoiled.) We just cleaned out the poop 3 times a day and tossed out the litter every other day (& added fresh litter.)
Take pictures! Be prepared for them to do icky/silly things like rolling around in the litter or eating it (so scooping it often helps!) Also they will learn best from and copy other cats.

*pic of the minion containment box with the plastic sorter included. We stuck them in the bunny cage while we slept. A bathroom would work to.

Attachments