Why does my cat love to sleep outside

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought my my cat bella a heated house. She sleeps in there when it is very very cold out. But she loves also sleeping in her bed out side on the porch. I keep warming up a micro disk for her. She sleeps on the porch. I was wondering if it is true that cats have night vision. My husband tells me that she does not need the porch light on at night. When I do have the porch
Ight on she is always looking to see if she sees anything in the woods. Should I leave the light on or off. Why does she like to sleep outside instead of her heated house.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats do have excellent night vision so it is really not necessary to keep the light on.
As for not sleeping in her heated house, maybe she just feels more comfortable outside for whatever reason and just isn't used to the house. She may come around with time once she sees there is no threat.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the wind on the plants the porch light could be creating moving shadows that is making her anxious.

Cat nightvision is estimated to be about six times more sensitive than our own, which basically means that moonlight and streetlights in the distance is more than enough for them to see where they are going.  

If the house only has one exit path, she might feel a little trapped by it.   One of the guys at the hangar across from us at the airport built a kittie house for some ferals, and made it elevated with a front and back door for that reason.   If a predator were to poke its head in one side, they could dart out the other way to safety.  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow I did not know that cats have great night visison. So I really don't need the porch light on. Bella does use her heated house but we are having such mild weather that she seems to like sleeping out side. It is suppose to get cold tomorrow night so I hope she goes in. We have been having a racoon come everyday at 5 30.pm so I try and make her eat by 4pm