Why Does My Cat Keep Biting Me?

vanemeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I find it odd that my cat keeps biting me a lot whenever I want to pet her. She used to be more calm. But ever since we got her spayed, her behavior changed. It’s not even playful biting. It’s actual biting. She is around maybe 9 months old. I don’t know if it’s because of the age or that she got spayed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. How long ago was your cat spayed? Is the incision totally healed? Is she eating, drinking, using the litter box ok? If you suspect she might not be feeling well, contact your vet.

If she's acting normal otherwise, it could be just that she's going through her "teenage" stage, and doesn't want to be held.

How old was she when you got her? Sometimes kittens who are adopted too young don't learn kitty manners, and don't learn that their bites can hurt their human family.

Here's an article with more info:
Teach your kitten how to play nice

Also, when she bites, try hissing at her. Or saying "owwwww" in a high pitched voice. That is how another cat would let her know she was hurting them.

Here's a few TCS articles that might also be helpful:
Cat Aggression Toward People
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanemeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Almost 4 week’s ago she got spayed. A few days after her spaying, she got an infection. She didn’t want to eat or drink. But she got treated for it. And now she’s fine. She eats and drinks like normal. Her incision has fully healed. I didn’t adopt her or anything. She just arrived to my home and we took her in. She was actually pretty young.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... thanks for giving the sweet girl a home. :hearthrob: She probably now just needs to learn not to bite hard. Hopefully the tips in the links will help. :crossfingers: