Why Does My Cat Hiss At My Brother?

ricue611

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My brother does medical school and I only get to see him during the winter and during the summer. My brother doesn't really pay attention to the cat. He ignores him and pretends he doesn't exist. He has done that ever since we got him. My cat is pretty territorial, but I didn't think he would hiss at my brother.

My brother was petting him where he normally sleeps, but as he was petting him, he was biting him very hard, and when he stopped petting him to step away, he hissed at him.

Why is my cat behaving like this? Is he VERY teritorial? or is it just that my cat doesn't know my brother very well?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were there warning signs before the cat bit and hissed? Cats do not always like to be petted, but will usually warn with a swishing or twitching tail that they are unhappy - if someone carries on petting after that, being nipped is their fault...

Gernerally cats are not teddy bears that can be handled and petted by everyone - strange people, unfamiliar smells, are often not tolerated very well. Your brother is an intruder in your cat's territory :) This is normal cat behaviour, not your cat being especially territorial. Your brother should leave the cat alone and let it approach him, and be aware of the cat's body language and stop petting when the cat has had enough.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, someone who only sees the cat a couple of times a year, should not be approaching him and attempting to pet him. Your cat is warning him, if your brother insists, it could lead to serious injury. Hissing is a warning to back off. Your brother does not understand cats very well, you can't force a cat to submit like a dog. Have him speak softly to the cat, offer treats and then leave him alone. Ignoring a cat makes them more comfortable, and after they have a chance to study the new human, they often will approach on their own. Cats will hiss when they are unsure of themselves, frightened, or feel they are being forced to do something they don't want to do. none of it a good sign. I hope you understand taht if your cat attacks your brother, he has been warned and neither of you should blame the cat.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How does your cat behave with other new people/visitors/strangers in the house?
Is he friendly to everyone else and only hisses and bites your brother? Is he like this with all strange men but friendly to new women?
Cats in general I think are more fearful with strange men than women. At least the ones that are shy at all.