Why Does My Cat Have Smelly Poops?

Monica Concepcion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 year old male neutered cat who has really smelly poops. He's pretty much acts like how a normal cat would like play (he's very playful), eat, pee and poop. His poops are normal and he has all his deworming and shots up to date. I'm just wondering why it's just really smelly like 5x the scent of human poop (tmi sorry).

I changed his food from Princess to Whiskas to Friskies dry cat food even put him on an all wet cat food diet and now he's on Smart Heart dry cat food coz I don't have that much money to put him on an all wet cat food diet. The scent didn't really change.

I have another cat that has the same food (Smart Heart) but her poops aren't really smelly that I couldn't even tell if she pooped while I'm asleep.

Have any thoughts on why this might be? I asked my vet he said it's normal for a cat to have smelly poops.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A poor quality diet often causes stinky poop. I've never heard of Smart Heart brand but I Googled it and it looks like a brand sold in the Phillippines and other Asian countries Smartheart Philippines - Smartheart Cat Food for sale - prices & reviews | Lazada

All of the dry foods are seafood based and contain pretty junky ingredients: corn as the very first ingredient, poultry by product meal, fish meal, tuna by product meal, corn gluten meal, etc.

Every cat's digestive system is a little different so poop from one cat may not smell as bad as poop from another cat even if both eat the same food.

Are there any meat based food in your country? Real meat, not a by product or meal, as the first ingredient. Or can you look into a raw or home cooked diet (properly done of course)?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed that my cats' litter boxes don't stink as bad now that I limit the fish in their diet. Their dry food does have a little fish meal in it, but it's like the 8th ingredient. I only give them fish canned food once a week now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Monica Concepcion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A poor quality diet often causes stinky poop. I've never heard of Smart Heart brand but I Googled it and it looks like a brand sold in the Phillippines and other Asian countries Smartheart Philippines - Smartheart Cat Food for sale - prices & reviews | Lazada

All of the dry foods are seafood based and contain pretty junky ingredients: corn as the very first ingredient, poultry by product meal, fish meal, tuna by product meal, corn gluten meal, etc.

Every cat's digestive system is a little different so poop from one cat may not smell as bad as poop from another cat even if both eat the same food.

Are there any meat based food in your country? Real meat, not a by product or meal, as the first ingredient. Or can you look into a raw or home cooked diet (properly done of course)?
huh, coincidentally the flavor I ordered this month is Tuna and Seafood coz i noticed that they tend to not finish their food if it's not fish flavored. We do have meat based products but I can't really put them on an all meat based diet coz canned food is quite pricey here except for Whiskas (his poop's stinkier when I feed him Whiskas).

Can I feed my cat the food I eat though like Chicken or Beef with some rice? My neighbors have outdoor cats and they feed their cats what they eat and the cats throw up in front of my house so I'm sorta concerned that mine would throw up like them too. Its causing us a burden already to clean the vomit everyday. I wouldnt want to see vomit in hidden areas in my house

Also, I'm concerned he might start stealing food on a regular basis as my parents put food on the table with just a food cover. He knows how to open the food cover now and he's starting to get curious but doesn't try to steal food yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Monica Concepcion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there fish in your cat's food? That's usually what makes my cat's poop stink.
?

Fish like the flavor or like with wet cat food meat? sadly they won't finish their plate if it's not fish flavored (seafood, salmon, tuna, etc). I only feed them with dry cat food alone coz the wet cat food is a bit expensive here in the Philippines. I feed them wet cat food on some ocassions though...

I do found a brand here though called Special Cat food, it's chicken and turkey flavored but my other cat begins to have smelly poops if I feed them that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can I feed my cat the food I eat though like Chicken or Beef with some rice?
Please see the Raw and Home Cooked Diet forum for more information on how to make sure the food you feed is a balanced diet for your cat. Plain meat on it's own is not enough so you will need to add in organs and a calcium source (like raw bone) or use supplements. Cats don't need rice or veggies in their diet so I wouldn't include those.

Here's a thread with cooked meat recipies: Cooked Recipes Thread I don't think Alnutrin and other supplements are sold in Asia so you'll have to stick with recipies that use organs and supplements that are obtainable from a Human vitamin store or online web site.

Also, I'm concerned he might start stealing food on a regular basis as my parents put food on the table with just a food cover. He knows how to open the food cover now and he's starting to get curious but doesn't try to steal food yet.
If you feed your cat enough food and don't feed scraps from the table, there shouldn't be any food stealing or begging. A firm NO when you see your cat trying to get to food is usually enough to get a cat to learn what is not acceptable behavior.

?

Fish like the flavor or like with wet cat food meat? sadly they won't finish their plate if it's not fish flavored (seafood, salmon, tuna, etc). I only feed them with dry cat food alone coz the wet cat food is a bit expensive here in the Philippines. I feed them wet cat food on some ocassions though....
The problem with seafood is that many cats get addicted to eating it and will refuse to eat anything else. Too much seafood can possibly cause urinary issues in some cats and some types of fish may be more likely to contain mercury than others.

Can I Feed My Cat A Fish-based Or Fish-flavored Diet?

I think most Asian bands of cat foods are heavily seafood based :dunno: