why does my cat have a bald spot on his head/neck????

rubingie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i found it yesterday, but now today i look and theres red on the end of it which has me worried.
the top of his head keeps losing a lot more hair than usual but everywhere else is fine! he is an indoor cat. he eats fancy feast always, he doesn't like any other wet- food. every time ive tried to switch him to another wet food he gets sick/pukes. he has to eat wet food because he has urinary issues, although he had a successful P/U surgery so he's been fine since then :) but i still dont think he should switch.
it's hot to the touch, though im not sure if thats normal or not since i've never felt a hairless cat before
20230421_090526.jpg yesterday
20230421_215544.jpg now today

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubingie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He needs a vet visit. It looks bad. Being hot is not normal. It could get infected
yea, thats what i was thinking (but we're sort of tight on money right now so unfortunately i'll have to wait a bit). im just wondering what it could be.
he does sleep in a cardboard box i have in my room sometimes (he sleeps on both the bed and in the box, the box is for his 'catnaps') and i saw a source that said that maybe its because there was no towel in it or something?? or like. something soft in the box.
i'm not sure. it doesn't look like ringworm because doesn't ringworm feel scaly? his skin feels soft except for the irritation at the bottom. also there's no circle, it's more long

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Until such time you can get him to the vet (which I hope can be managed sooner rather than later), try chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that place with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for him to ingest should he do so. If he has an infection, and he probably does, the chamomile tea won't help with that though.

If you have a regular vet, you could send pics to them and ask if they could recommend a topical treatment, or even prescribe an antibiotic without a vet visit. Odds are no, but it can't hurt to ask.

You're going to have to investigate everything you can think of to see what he might be touching/rubbing/etc. in your home. It seems like it could be a contact issue with something, just because it seems to be confined to a given area. I can't imagine that the inside of a cardboard box could cause that unless there is something in it that is rough/sharp. Some boxes do have metal staples in them for added support for whatever was shipped in them, so you might check to see if that could be the cause. But I would also look at everything related to where he spends time.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding the new formula cans of fancy feast? They made changes maybe an allergic reaction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubingie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Until such time you can get him to the vet (which I hope can be managed sooner rather than later), try chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that place with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for him to ingest should he do so. If he has an infection, and he probably does, the chamomile tea won't help with that though.

If you have a regular vet, you could send pics to them and ask if they could recommend a topical treatment, or even prescribe an antibiotic without a vet visit. Odds are no, but it can't hurt to ask.

You're going to have to investigate everything you can think of to see what he might be touching/rubbing/etc. in your home. It seems like it could be a contact issue with something, just because it seems to be confined to a given area. I can't imagine that the inside of a cardboard box could cause that unless there is something in it that is rough/sharp. Some boxes do have metal staples in them for added support for whatever was shipped in them, so you might check to see if that could be the cause. But I would also look at everything related to where he spends time.
sorry i was gone for a bit! believe it or not, it was the box! i put a towel on the floor of the box and after that, the hair stopped falling off and it's been healing up! also stopped feeling hot and is just warm now like normal skin temp. 20230511_111332.jpg