Why Does My Cat Growl And Hiss At His Toys?

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat loves to play and he’s crazy. Sometimes when he plays, especially with an interactive toy, as he catches it he hisses really loudly and then once it’s in his mouth he growls and walks around with it. Then he growls at another toy and takes that one too so he’ll just walk around with both in his mouth, growling very loudly. Then he’ll drop both, hiss and growl and attack them. Why does he do that? Is that normal?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Completely normal behavior for a mighty little hunter. Cats, especially kittens, will get really into their games and when they see a human nearby growl to warn them off of their "kill" or they are growling at their "prey" directly. Either way, growling in play and at toys is a sign that your kitten is really into his play.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ALL play in cats and kittens is practice for the hunt! Your boy is just determined to be fierce of heart and swift of paw, a mighty hunter, indeed.

Oh...and they are all crazy!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What they said, and be aware that if you try to take his prey away he may very well growl or hiss at you. Just his way of letting you know that he captured it so it is HIS.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it is pretty normal, though it is a bit on the aggressive end of things, so, like others have said, you'll want to be careful when you take the toy away.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He would probably really enjoy a good wand toy, such as Da Bird. That lets you play with him, without your hands becoming targets. It also lets you wear his little cat fanny out a few times a day!