Why does my cat do this? (video)

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat always does this...and it's kind of weird. Not worrying, just strange. I know it's instinct to do this around her food, to "bury" it or whatever, but in the bathroom sink?! None of my other cats have ever done that but they were all too lazy.

Any insight?

Just curious.

jennandtonic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Byron does that--but only with blankets. It's usually when I put a freshly washed blanket on the bed or couch, or when he is trying to wake me up in the morning.

I'm not sure why either but I think it's adorable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she does it on the bed when she's trying to wake me up too, but then I can always see she's digging at the blankets, or trying to dig under me haha. And she does it around her food too but I know that's instinct. But in the sink?! There's nothing to dig at!! And nothing to bury! Maybe she just likes how it feels!

I think it's adorable too, it's like she's trying to run in one place haha.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
She's not peeing in the sink, is she?  One of our cats had urinary crystals, and started peeing in the sink to get our attention.  Then he would try to 'cover' it.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
How funny.   Good to know cats do that just for fun (or whatever they're thinking!)  LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

She's not peeing in the sink, is she?  One of our cats had urinary crystals, and started peeing in the sink to get our attention.  Then he would try to 'cover' it.
Pretty sure she isn't...I'm sure I would have smelt it if she was.

Maybe because it's the human bathroom...our cats like covering their own mess, they're trying to cover ours too?! Thinking about it, she's actually tried to do it in the toilet a couple of times, but I always keep the lid down because she also tries to drink the toilet water.

They're so cute, I love their weird little quirks ^_^

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

Pretty sure she isn't...I'm sure I would have smelt it if she was.

Maybe because it's the human bathroom...our cats like covering their own mess, they're trying to cover ours too?! Thinking about it, she's actually tried to do it in the toilet a couple of times, but I always keep the lid down because she also tries to drink the toilet water.

They're so cute, I love their weird little quirks ^_^
That's good (that she's not peeing).  Yeah, maybe she's trying to clean up after you!  LOL  Cute.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My guys will do it to cover 'smells' - like if one of them has vomited, they'll do that on the floor next to it, of if someone has a poo chasing them, the floor gets 'buried' where it has dragged.  From this, if I see them doing it around other places, I gather they are burying the smells, whatever the cause!

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Charlie will 'bury' his food if he doesn't like it. he'll bury around it on the floor, then hop into the litter box (only the front half of his body) to dig around in the litter box to actually feel something while he's burying, and then he'll come back out the food and bury around the floor some more. 

He doesn't do it to foods he enjoys eating. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It does look like what Mouse does when he wants me to move something he doesn't like the smell of in his territory - usually a used plate of human food or cups of tea or coffee, esp if they are put down on the foor! Or outside his litter tray if he thinks it's not up to standard...

allenash000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Senior Fur does this. He does it mostly when he wants to move rooms. He'll do this on the mirror, my large canvas paintings, and the doors when he wants to get in somewhere!

I have, however, noticed he does this before he drinks water or eats food next to the dish. I don't know why, but maybe because he wants the area clean before he eats/ drinks? haha.