Why Does My Cat Bite?

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! So about a month ago I started noticing a few things that my cat has been doing. If I even did something small that she disliked like pick her up before she climbed onto the counter or picking her up out of a room she didn't belong in her eyes would widen and her pupils would grow. I would then start to back away and she would stalk me down. I managed to stop her the first few times but then she started to lunge at me and bite. The only way I would be able to stop her is either close myself in a room, close her in a room, or give her treats. Now, whenever I do something mildly annoying to her she attacks. I realize that the most obvious way to fix this is to never annoy her but sometimes I really do need to pick her up. So please, what do I do to stop her biting me and what is the reason behind her biting at minor disturbances? I really am starting to get desperate, a few times she has drawn blood. So any ideas really help. Thanks!:dancingblackcat:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ouch. I've found that a loud sharp "Ow! No!" and utterly ignoring my cats for a few seconds will quickly stop that type of behavior. The vocalization needs to be loud and sudden to really get their attention. Both Rocket and Link have tried to assert dominance by biting at one point or another. It will usually take two or three times for them to start getting the idea and it has to be reinforced every time. With Rocket, she'd look annoyed and stalk off but she didn't try to bite me again after testing it once or twice. Link will get a moment every few months or so, he usually will react like "OMG! Sorry! Sorry!" and start licking where he bit if I say ow.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Hekitty can be "one of those cats" on occasion. I hiss at her. Loud, and sharp. That stops it in its tracks. When you hiss at a cat, you are speaking Universal Cattish for "STOP THAT! I'M MAD!"

You are not alone in this, for sure. In fact, this episode of "My Cat From Hell" is about an attacking cat that made headlines. You might find something in the show that can help.

Lux The 911 Cat - My Cat From Hell | Animal Planet

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it may be status aggression. I've had some issues with Freya and one thing that helped was clicker type training with treats. it helps remind the ct that you are a benevolent dictator, so to speak.