Why Does It Hurt This Much

jd333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't figure it out. I've lost friends, some immediate family members, and other pets as well. It has only been two days, but I haven't ever cried like this. I've had other cats as long as 20 years while growing up, and when they went, it wasn't so bad.

A girl told me about Clover nearly six years ago. Clover was living in isolation in a room in the basement of some professor who lived alone and he wasn't a cat person, Clover was the cat that nobody wanted, leftover from a divorce. After a few days I finally agreed to take her even though I already had two cats(I mostly did it because I had a huge crush on that girl at the time). When I went with her to pick the cat up it was pretty bad, Clover had a very tight collar around her neck that was pretty much embedded on her neck. She was immediately excited to get contact from any living thing, I could tell she spent most of her days in isolation alone in that room on this dirty mattress covered in cat hair. I bet her only friends were spiders that happened to crawl down there. I don't know what her age was at the time, but I heard around 11 years, and I have no idea how many years she spent in that room alone.

The first thing I did after bringing her home was removed that collar, I could tell she was relieved. That night she was a little nervous about the new surroundings, but came out and laid on the floor with me late at night(took a picture of that moment).

She quickly became MY cat. Over the next 5+ years I gave her SO much attention to the point where she forgot what it was to be alone and even got annoyed with me at times. I mean if I saw her laying anywhere I would run over and start rubbing my head on her and wake her up(I couldn't resist). Would always be next to me when I fell asleep and when I woke up. Followed me around everywhere, listened to the same music I did, and she never once snapped at me, never bit or hit me. I traveled sometimes, but every time I returned she was there waiting to continue snuggie time every night. I didn't make any "life" choices without the cats consent either. It was just me and her every night, especially lately. I didn't even need anything else. Girls? They're crazy. My cat? Purrfect.

Over the last year, she started having constant diarrhea, often not using the litter box. Almost every night my hallway would have a turd/diarrhea of some sort laying in it, but whatever it only took me a minute to clean it, I dealt with it. She developed IBD, most likely lymphoma, and hyperthyroidism. She would eat and drink all the time, while losing more and more weight. She eventually became like a walking skeleton, probably 4lbs if that, started coughing quite a lot, heart was having trouble. Constant howling at random walls until I came and nudged her(senile), and in pain often soon after eating(would diarrhea, and then vomit afterwards). Needless to say, she was still my cat, still slept with me every night and I welcomed it even if she left dirty paw prints on my sheet on the left side of my bed where she slept, I just had to wash the sheets more often than usual. Over the last two weeks, she couldn't lay down for more than maybe 10minutes at a time(was in obvious discomfort), but she kept coming back to my bed(snuggie time must go on) and purring, laying next to me.

Every opinion lately told me to have her put down. I said no. She was in pain, but she was still enjoying being with me, as I was with her. I finally gave in after she could no longer rest well, and noticed her eyes became watery and her back legs were becoming unbalanced. Two days ago she was put down, didn't even make a sound when they did the first anesthetic injection(which the vet that came to my house said was usually the painful part for the cat), which told me Clover got used to being in pain. As much pain as she may have been in, I still feel I did the wrong thing. She gave me that "I'm dying" look days before this, and I knew she was, but still she was there every night laying with me snuggling up until the very last night. There's no doubt her days were numbered, and I was also prepared to wake up with her next to me deceased, or to find her elsewhere in the house. Why didn't I wait for this? She could have been here another week, maybe months. Who am I to decide when another life is to end. I am not some creator. Why is it humane to put "animals" down, and not humans? When are we finally going to accept that all living things equally have the right to life. I can't wrap my head around this. It has only been two days since. Writing this, I have no doubt she would have been here sitting on my chair with me like she did, or staring at me waiting for me to finish typing so I could feed her. Yes she would have been in discomfort, but life comes once as is, there's no coming back. Once you're gone, you're gone. I feel I've made a mistake. I don't know how old she was, maybe 16 or 17, but I know she could have been here even a day longer and that I have to figure out how to cope with.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You knew she was in pain. You gave her an enormous gift by alleviating that pain. Thank you that you did.

RIP you darling darling cat, you did your feline job and so incredibly much more, and lived your life to the very best of your abilities.

Tilly206

Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain, ive been going through very similar feelings with my cat who i had PTS recently (IBD, hyperthyroidism) and an undiagnosed heart condition which took her from us. She seemed so well in herself and loved living and loving and I took the vets advice to let her go before she suffered. Please try not to be too hard on yourself, you did it for her. I know it is not easy, I will be thinking of you.:alright:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
First you did a WONDERFUL thing all those years ago taking her away from that horrible living situation and she is forever grateful, you gave her a wonderful life but it must come to an end sadly like we all must face, but you have no regrets, it is the grief talking right now and it will, and it is negative and full of doubt and questions and it is hard to "play God", but you did what had to be done, you helped her out of her pain riddled body and she is just fine now, just fine, it is you who is hurting and it will hurt for awhile, but with time it will lose it's sting and you will adapt slowly to it. I am sorry that you lost your friend.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, remember the good memories not the bad ones. God Bless.......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, she was not enjoying life anymore, you yourself saw what was happening,she WAS in discomfort and pain, there comes a time in every living thing's life when there is no joy in living, just existing. You know in your heart she was at that point. You saw it, you felt it, and you responded to her pain. Having a 'natural' end, or prolonging the inevitable is actually more traumatic on the loved one than allowing them to get relief. They fight against death, it is a struggle and and a heartache to witness. Peaceful passings are very rare. I really believe when people say they witnessed a 'peaceful' death they mean it is over. I have witnessed a hundred or more deaths being a RN and i can assure you, not one of them was 'peaceful'. You did her a great service by allowing her to end the pain and follow the path she now follows. What you did you did to end the suffering, with love and compassion, you followed your heart and that is never wrong. There was no cure, there was just suffering and further decline in her future. Go back and for a moment think of your feelings while you watched her suffer, her back legs failing, the suffering she was obviously in. You would do the same thing in a moment. But now, when the suffering has ended, your brain takes over from the heart and grieving dominates what it is processing and all those should haves, could haves kick in and you doubt everything you did. Try not to go there. Even though it hurts so very much because you want her there, think of what she gave you. The joy, the happiness, the love she gave so freely to you. You saved her and gave her her world, she will always thank you for that. She thanked you by loving you with all her little soul. Right now you are making her death more important than her life. Her life was so much more important, concentrate on that instead. the bond you have can never be taken from you. It is eternal and a part of your soul. She will always be as near as your thoughts, so send her thoughts of comfort and love, not tears and sadness. She would never want that for someone who means so much to her. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go.
My heart goes out to you, I know how much this hurts, how empty you feel. But time will help to soften the edges, and you will learn to get through this and be stronger for it. Your heart is big and capable of adding new loves, right besides her love that will always be there. Find joy once more in life, it is as she would want....take care.....RIP precious Clover. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Clover, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

You gave this unwanted, unloved cat years of devotion, and she returned that, full measure. The greatest gift we can give those precious lives in our care is release when life has become a misery, and you did that. No matter the hurt to you, you did that. I can promise you that Clover blesses you for it, for helping her shrug off a heavy coat of flesh that could no longer support her loving heart and gentle spirit. Love does not die. It changes form, and continues on, still Love. Love abides, and Clover will be with you always.

Artscats

Georgie Boy
Young Cat
Purraise
You did a great thing by saving your friend - twice. When you rescued her from that basement dungeon and when you ended her pain. Don't think of your act of love as ending her life. You ended her pain. Her life at that point was not worth living. I put my friend down 1 week ago today and like you I've had feelings of guilt and remorse. And when I do I try and stand away and look at myself and say(for right now) remember, remember how he was failing and that look in his eyes. He knew and I knew, it was time. I can't promise you anything. The tears still flow now and then but I picture and imagine him more and more each day as he was when he was young and healthy. And I try and project that image to him. And I'm feeling slowly that my best friend is happy where he's at now. Peace

Artscats

Georgie Boy
Young Cat
Purraise
And let me add one thing. She was one pretty girl. Too bad her and handsome George never met, at least in this life.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat looks exactly like my cat, he was playful , my shadow, on my bed, everywhere on my lap, always saying hello in the morning and hello when i came home from work, i went on holidays for 3 weeks and he was still there he didn't run, he was owned by a neighbor 4 houses down, he talks, nags me to get to sleep, or nags me to give him food by rubbing his head on the dry food packet until i give in, he never bit me, attacked me (only when he got really sick ) and it was because i was trying to see what was wrong with him. He loved belly rubs and always rolled on his back on my lap for a belly rub in the early mornings and before he would go to sleep at night. He would tap me on the nose to wake up if he needed to go to the loo outside.

Attachments

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry for you loss. I hope you find a way to ease the pain. It’s been a week for me since my Baby left, and it doesn’t get any easier.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I am going through a similar situation that you were in... I made a post about it the other day about going out with a bang. To me it also feels weird/wrong to be the one to pick the date/time of their death. I still haven't replied to my vet or the travelling vet I contacted about the date/time.

From the sounds of it you two had a really close relationship and it sounded awesome :).

My artistic skills are nowhere near what some would consider good as I just started but if you would like, I would love to make a piece about her. My style is more cartoony so it may or may not be your taste. I randomly did it for a few people on reddit a little while back and had pawsitive feedback so I am continuing.

Examples:

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It hurts because we love them so very much. They bring us so much happiness, laughter and comfort. You will wonder if you will ever feel anything but the pain you are in right now. You will move on. The pain feels like someone pulled your heart out. I know. You have a great group of support here who know what you are going through. I can't come around too often because even though it's been almost 2 years, it's like a fresh wound for me. I read the stories and I cry with all of you. I remember the pain like it was yesterday.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am going through a similar situation that you were in... I made a post about it the other day about going out with a bang. To me it also feels weird/wrong to be the one to pick the date/time of their death. I still haven't replied to my vet or the travelling vet I contacted about the date/time.

From the sounds of it you two had a really close relationship and it sounded awesome :).

My artistic skills are nowhere near what some would consider good as I just started but if you would like, I would love to make a piece about her. My style is more cartoony so it may or may not be your taste. I randomly did it for a few people on reddit a little while back and had pawsitive feedback so I am continuing.

Examples:
Your artwork is amazing!