Why does he lick me?

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Franklin likes to lick me. He'll lick my arm or hand, if that's all he can get, but he loves to lick my face. He will flop down infront of me and roll over on to his back. If I get down on all 4's he will "grab" my face and pull it towards him. He will lick my nose and forehead for as long as I'll let him. Most of the time he's licking he's also purring up a storm. Is he grooming me? Is it just the salt ?

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he's grooming you. He loves you, and wants to take care of you!!

Genever licks both my BF and I, but she very rarely licks my face. She will lick his face at night though. Other than that it's hands, arms, toes..

tobacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lottie also licks me, mainly on face, arms and legs if she can get to them. Not really sure why, but I put it down to affection or salt on my skin.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Lennon licks like mad! I am pretty sure he is grooming, as he does it exactly the same way to his brother and sister constantly. He is always licking, especially at night. He curls up on my chest, or next to my face, and licks away!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker

He wubbas you and wants to groom you and you taste and smell good !
yeah i agree with the above

Flash likes to groom people to
i get facials off her all the time

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep. He loves you and is grooming you - he sees you as another cat - HUGE compliment

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Python

Yep. He loves you and is grooming you - he sees you as another cat - HUGE compliment
Ginga does the same to me, she licks me as much as she can. She even tries to lick my lips
She purrs really loudly and bunts me and rubs against me. She is really cute!

Jackz, Jazzy & Ginga.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto with what everyone else said. When cats groom another animal it is bonding and affection - like Mama would do!
My Jakie is the face kisser in the family, lips, too, sometimes.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia has licked me once or twice, literally! I am pretty sure she found it repulsive, licking a furless, salty tasting, over sized mom
! She is a very clean kitty though, if I touch her after she cleans herself, she gives me the look and then has to clean that area again!

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He loves you! My cats do this to me all the time. Their tongues are really rough too and it starts to make my hand sore after a while if they keep it up. But it also seems to soothe them when they do this. I think that your kitty feels you are part of his family.

kittymcg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our mini cat Echo is a total licker. She licks feet mainly (anyone's will do). She especially loves to lick the feet of people who aren't wild about cats. She will lick fingers, arms, faces, lips. She wakes me up in the morning licking my forehead. It's pretty cute, despite her rough tongue.

I was told that often kittens that are raised by their mothers (with minimal human interaction) will lick their humans to show affection - the way cats often lick/ groom each other if they are bonded. Echo was a rescue and the shelter speculated that she was probably a barn/ farm kitten.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Bella is laying close to me and she is grooming herself she will always start grooming me as well. I'm very flattered by it. When I lean down and kiss her on the head or cheek she will respond with a lick to my cheek. I hope it's a sign of love and affection. That's what I want to think.

kbo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Ginger licks me and I never understood why. Now I know!