Why do they do that?

smg680

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my family's cats, Bob, sometimes nibbles on my hand or bites it. I know younger kittens, like Sassy (and I'll get to her in a little bit), bite things, but here's the thing: Bob's a full-grown cat. My family thinks that he was abandoned, and he's missing an eye (my family thinks he lost it in a fight with another cat, but I vaguely remember seeing a kitten that looked a lot like him a few years ago, and his eye looked funny to me). We have since taken him in, and he is a very nice cat. He was also one of the first cats my dad and I had fixed, since he was first called 'Horny Bob', and was probably responsible for a litter or two of kittens in my dad's garage. He does bite my hand sometimes, and I don't know if it's a love bite or not. I always tell him that he's a nice sweet good Bob, and nice sweet good Bobs don't bite! I also tell him 'no' when he tries to bite me, and I get my hand out of the way. How can I get him to stop biting me?

Now, onto Sassy, who's a year old. She also bites me, and it's not just on the hand. She also bites my nose. Like with Bob, I tell her no, and I also take her off my lap, since she stands up on her hind legs and she bites my nose as we cuddle, but how do I get her to stop that?

On a more pleasant note, I've had questions about why Sassy's sister Shadow licks me. She doesn't bite me, but she spends a long time licking me. I read somewhere that it's a way for cats to show their love or mark what's theirs. Is that right?

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad Bob found you! I'm sure he's a greatful sweet kitty. ❤😊
As far as biting, it might come down to over stimulation. Each level of acceptable stimulation varies with each cat. Nico who we had rescued off the street would bite when he got worked up. It wasn't very hard, but it was usually with too much petting ( which wasn't much for him lol.) I think the same goes for Sissy, she may be getting overstimulated. This is a great article on the subject.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...YQFnoECCcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2F_SvCQIDx0at4WxVOQ6IN
And yes, licking is a sign of love and acceptance. That is so cute Shadow gives you "kisses!" ❤
again this is just my opinion, but I hope it helps!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. Try stopping affection immediateIy when a nip occurs. IF your cat shows any rippIing of muscIe aIong their back, that's a sign of overstimuIation, one of the first. The second is generaIIy a Iash of the taiI, then a bite. Heitty (my girI) is hypersensitive about being stroked aIong her spine. I can stroke her head, neck, and down to her shouIders, but anything beyond that wiII quickIy earn a "stop that" nip. You'II need to experiment a bit, as every cat is individuaI in what they can toIerate!