Why Do So Many Lid Diets Contain Peas?

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm also wondering how your IBD cats react to ingredients like peas and chickpeas

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Right!? I was looking into some rabbit LID food since we are moving away from chicken, and the vet gave me the Royal Canin - peas were the first ingredient! I went with NV Instinct since peas were at least the second ingredient. I think our cat is ok with peas, but it's quite annoying that they all have peas. I assume it's to keep the cost down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, and royal canin isn't cheap either! i can't believe they wouldn't have a animal protein as the 1st ingredient. I haven't tried introducing any foods with peas yet, but I have tried ziwipeak venison which has chickpeas lower on the list and he got mildly sick from the food.

Not sure what he could have reacted to

Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Venison Lung, Venison Heart, Venison Kidney, Venison Tripe, Chick Peas, New Zealand Green Mussel, Venison Bone, Dried Kelp, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B1 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement).

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It also gives a protein boost to the food. The company can save money because peas cost less than meat while raising their protein content. Problem is that cats can't use plant based protein but manufactures don't separate plant and animal based protein on the labels. I tend to take 5-10% off the protein content based on where in the ingredients it is, just for my own sanity when comparing products.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kieka, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if somehow legumes were helpful with digestion and staying regular, they are for humans but of course cats have different dietary needs

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I know! Pet food companies do it just to market something as high protein since a lot of customers don't know the difference. What annoys me to no end is few vets get unbiased information from independent experts so they can't help us decide if we are feeding the right amount and kind of protein to every cat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read one study a while back, that of course I can't find right now, that peas aren't as harmful as other binders. Less risk of weight retention, doesn't break down to a simple sugar as easily. Tapioca was slightly better but also less studied at the time.

My personal "grain free" binder list puts potato at the bottom, then peas, then tapioca. Of course the commercial pet food industry will continue to find other binders that people think are better. It comes down to keeping up with research and being mindful of your choices.

I see peas as a lesser evil but I dislike "pea protein" plus peas in a food. I try to self correct the protein percentage the best I can when they don't tell us how much is in there. It feels like a pick your posion type situation anytime you look at commercial foods.

I do understand why some people choose to go raw where they control the food. However, that doesn't work for my home, budget or time. I can barely fix food for myself most days let alone prep and fix a mindful diet for my cats. I am paranoid that I will miss some key nutrients and just hurt my cats, bluntly.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know! Pet food companies do it just to market something as high protein since a lot of customers don't know the difference. What annoys me to no end is few vets get unbiased information from independent experts so they can't help us decide if we are feeding the right amount and kind of protein to every cat.
My vet is really good about this actually. She and I went into potatoes versus peas versus tapioca one time. She would rather I do wet only, of course, but it just wouldn't work for my home for a variety of reasons. So we do a mix and my cats are happy and healthy. I keep up with my annual exams, she keeps me appraised of any research she thinks I'd like to know when those roll around, and the cats do well. I just feel bad for people who find high 40 protein food and are super happy without reading the label to see it has pea and potato protein so how much is actual usable protein?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
That i9s great, but none of those ingredients belong in cat food. Only protein from animals can be properly and easily digested. My vet said, Cats can digest grains." Well yeah, but that is like saying we can digest saturated fat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That i9s great, but none of those ingredients belong in cat food. Only protein from animals can be properly and easily digested. My vet said, Cats can digest grains." Well yeah, but that is like saying we can digest saturated fat.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, understood that cats can't digest the plant proteins or binders. My vet and I were debating which is the better option when you are in the situation to have to choose one.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Short answer: the pet food industry is a scam.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Short answer: the pet food industry is a scam.
Not all of it. Obviously most pet food manufacturers deceive us however they can, but there are those things called commercial raw diets people can choose from.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all of it. Obviously most pet food manufacturers deceive us however they can, but there are those things called commercial raw diets people can choose from.
Ok, there are some good companies out there but even a lot of commercial raw companies aren’t trustworthy.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Uck peas! I agree I don’t like them after finding out the hard way when our poor healthy kitten had very bad reactions to them. I now have a couple different brands of wet and dry that work great in case any formulas changes occur.
Thanks to this site for helping alert us to the (then unknown) problem, so wonderful to have help! :)