Why do my cats scratch at different surfaces..?

felinefriendly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive two cats on male and one female both a year and a few month old and what im trying to figure out is why whenever they use the litterbox they scratch the side of it and then my female scratches around her bowl and claws up the carpet but my male does the same sometimes with the litterbox but he mainly scratches at the window... ive put this down to soots wanting to go outside but as for my other cat jess ive no idea why she does it,... ive tried several types of litter from clay to wood chip and things are still the same and now its driving me on the verge of going crackers. if anyone knows of any reason please reply thks.

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is the scratching on the outsid or inside of the litterbox?..My youngest scratches at the inside of their litterbox...also they both eat in the kitchen..when the youngest one is done he will scratch on the cabinet door right over his bowl..havent a clue why but the surface is something he cant harm..

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats both scratch the sides of the litter box instead of burying their business.  Mooch "buries" her food after she is done.  Either the floor or the wall/cabinet in front of her.  Always has.  It's very normal. 

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If your cat is clawing the carpet around her food bowls try putting the bowls on some sort of mat.  Stella does this while eating, but does not tear anything up while doing so.  Putting some sort of mat underneath will allow her to behave normally, but will prevent damage being done.