Why Do My Cats Fight

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, Luna and Koko.

Koko is kind of shy and doesn't like much contact, she shys away when I try to play with both and Luna is more active. Koko looks at Luna playing

Luna is friendlier, she seeks contact with me and my girlfriend.

They get along, sometimes they are sleeping together, lick each other and play around.

But then sometimes Koko chases Luna as when they play, but sometimes (not always) Luna starts hissing at Koko and runs away, Koko chases her and a hissing (from Luna) ensues while koko bites her and slaps her with her paw (not that aggressive to be honest) I know is a fight because luna is hissing, and she climbs up a chair and Koko tries to reach her and she hisses.

Why is this happening and what should I do to stop this from happening?

90% of the time they are either friendly to each other or minding their own business, but that 10% they run, drop things, and hiss.

Thank you all

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes one cat isn't scared of the other per se, but just doesn't like to play and doesn't want the other cat in their face. Very common with older cats that have been an only cat for years, and for some reason, its also quite common when the newcomer is a kitten.

Since they generally get along fine and this is solely an "I don't want to play GTF away from me" issue I don't really think there is anything you can or need to do unless there is a real fight with fur pulled out, rolling, screaming, and a risk of real injury. Sometimes one of these "GTF away from me" things can morph into real fighting, so you do need to keep an eye on things, but very often its just something they do now and then and nothing bad comes of it. Often they get over it, especially as they age. I get that its stressful to watch, but after you've had 3 or 4 sets of cats over 40 years, you kind of get over it -- this is something that cats do sometimes, and its not that big a deal and not always something that you can fix.

Its quite possible that one of the smart and helpful folks will link something on reintroductions, talk about calming products and what not, and I can't say that any of that is wrong. I just feel like these "I'm generally fine with you but I don't want in you in my face" situations are different.

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the time i think it is best to let cats work it out among them self. As long as one is not hiding or acting afraid a lot. No fur or blood is flying. No one is refusing to eat or drink, they are using the litterbox fine, then i would let them work it out. The one thing i would do, and my husband and i struggle with this one, is to make sure each cats gets some one on one play time. My male cats will suck up all the play time, and the girls just watch, if we let them. so we try to get them in separate rooms, and play one on one with each of them a few times during the week. A good play session with a wand toy will help with cats that are active and need to burn off some energy, it will also help the more timid cats build some confidence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks now I feel better. I guess I will just let them be.

Thank you both for your responses