Why Do I Have Lynx Ears, What Breed Am I ?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's an adorable kitten! I think most cats have those faint tufts on their ears. I can't remember if the pics in my banner show them, but both of my cats have them.

ysiadx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I adopted a stray cat with tuffs on his ears, gray tabby domestic short hair. I know nothing about his history, but his personality definitely has some interesting and notable traits. He was about 6 to 8 months old when we got him, at which point he weighted 8 pounds. He’s pushing 12-13 pounds at 11-13 months old. Very social and not fearful of humans or other cats. He is totally in love with my older female cat, she was not a fan initially. He tries to play with her and tackle and bite-but something about the way he communicates this with her makes it very very apparent that he is only playing and has no interest in actually fighting and being aggressive. This is the only reason why it’s worked out between them. He’s very active, very social, sometimes a goof.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute little thing. Out of five cats, I only have one that has not even a little bit of Lynx Tufts.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But my vet said she is 90% sure she is a Maine coon mix!
Vets don't always know a lot about cat breeds specifically. They have a lot bigger things to worry about. It is always fun to try to determine what breed your cat may resemble, but cats just aren't 90% Maine Coon, or a Russian Blue mix, or Maine Coon/Turkish Angora mix. That just is not how it works in the vast majority of cases. Cats have been mixed for generations and such a low percentage of them are even purebred. Plus, like with the OP of this thread, (I know it is an old one) you are saying you think your cat is maybe a Chartreux, but the littermates are black, how does that even make sense? One cat in the litter isn't going to be one breed while the other kitten in the same litter is another.
Just some things to think about...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To Y ysiadx , your kitty appears to be a lovely and sweet blue tabby domestic shorthair! If you'd like help describing his tabby pattern, you could post a picture of his body from the side so that we can see his pattern. Small ear tufts like that are seen on many cats, and are not an indication of breed ancestry. Most cats are not any particular breed.

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's so sweet. I've always wanted a grey kitty! I found Tiger who has the longest lynx tips ever. I absolutely love those tips!!! My vet is also sure he's a maine coon mix but to be honest he's grown so fast that we think he's prob just an MC at this stage... take a look: