Why do cats love boxes?

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This question has been in the back of my mind... well, pretty much ever since we got Peanut.
He loves boxes, just LOVES them. Being in them, being on top of them, it doesn't matter- he just adores them. He's currently sleeping on a box of books that I'd like to get put away someday- but I can't bring myself to take away his bed!
Does anyone else have a cat like this?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because they can!

My Callie girl LOVED boxes and bags, but my current 2 kitties aren't really interested in them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is my box. I love this box!

Oh, it's empty now... well that's okay, it still works!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my - his face

sometimes i wonder if cardboard has a scent they like as well
i've been wanting to know the true answer for awhile.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really-

love-

BOXES!!!

Maybe I should have put this in the fur pictures instead- I didn't know I had so many of them! But the question still stands! What IS it about these boxes? Also I did resize that last one, waiting for the server to catch up apparently.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's an old box fort thread somewhere in the pictures forum, I think, but I can never get enough photos of cats in boxes!!! Holland is another box fan:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's a sense of security.. knowing all sides but one exit/entrance, nothing can pounce them from behind.

here's Monet in a rather DEEP box (had a DIY furniture piece in it)

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Simba Yim is terrified of boxes. The shelter said he was abandoned in a box so that is the sad reason.
I love your pictures and Maru's videos though!

herekittykitty8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aprilyim

My Simba Yim is terrified of boxes. The shelter said he was abandoned in a box so that is the sad reason.
Poor Simba. That comment broke my heart. Happy that he is now in the loving home he deserves.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aprilyim

Oh, Simba...
That's just horrible, I can't even imagine why people treat animals that way. I'm so glad that he has a good home with you now! He's a gorgeous cat.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have a makeshift box tower. Sneaky and Holly love to lay in them. Jasper won't, but I think the girls have made it "theirs".

How about laundry baskets? Sneaky LOVES laundry baskets. If there's an empty one on the floor she has to get into it and take a nap. And I've never understood that.

Cheryl

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your nice comments!

I'm happy to report that his fear of boxes has not reduced his quality of life.
This is what he's up to right now.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, Simba certainly does have a very hard life, that much I can see!

Well, I'm sitting here in my office, and I happened to overturn the box that Peanut was inside in the first picture... guess where he is now?

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because they contain cardboardy awesomeness and are made of rectangles, which makes it at least 20% cooler. Duhhh...

People often ask, "what is the meaning of life"; the answer is "to make cardboard boxes for cats".

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Parker is obsessed with boxes. Especially ones he hasn't had a chance to make his own yet.

Just a few "box moments"

Buddy playing "peek-a-boo" from a box.

Parker enjoying a box that had Christmas stuff in it.

Buddy and Parker in the rigged up bunk bed made of two litter boxes stacked. Parker claimed the bottom since he is too heavy for the top and makes it tip over.

Oh and Parker is not limited to sleeping in boxes. A plastic bag is just as cozy apparently.

nit8690

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our Cammie blocking Yoda from hiding in his Dr Pepper box

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll have to get some different size boxes to see if Ritz likes any of them. The few times I brought one home she sniffed it and then ignored them. I don't think she likes confined spaces--reminds her too much of a cat carrier and where she hide during a 20 inch snow storm before she was rescued.
She does like to sleep on flattened ones for the same reason another poster indicated--they are cooler.
I have a cardboard box that contained parts to a new air conditioning. It is in three parts, middle part is flat; right and left parts are tube shaped with holes in the middle. I position small balls in them such that she can see the balls; she attacks those balls, I think she thinks they are mouse.
The new air conditioner didn't fix the problem, but I got a neat toy out of it

Ritz is afraid of plastic bags with stuff in them; she had a really bad experience with one. (Carton of raw eggs and Ritz' legs do not mix.) She does like the bags flattened, on the floor, handles cut off. The bags make a rustle sound similar, I'm told, to mice, and I position balls and DaMouse under the bag. Nice game.