Why can't I have a cat that does not give me headaches?!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Sigh.

This morning, I found my pill case missing. Then I find it on the floor with teeth marks, and 4 missing doses of Armour Thyroid. I can't find the pills anywhere.

I "Tested" it out and found out it was Monet, since Cassie refused a pill and Monet went right for it (naturally I didn't give it to him, I wanted to see who was interested in it).

I called a vet this morning, and since I have no idea what time he ate them, they said don't worry too much. he'll probably throw up later, have bad stomach pains and diarrhea. The pill is made of natural pig thyroid, and he probably smells the pork from the pill. I hate this because I have to go to work, I have no days left. i'll be worrying all day long. he had 4 doses of 60 mg.

I am going to continue to vent about Monet.

- I cannot stop him from jumping on my counters, no matter what. I've tried Sofa Scram, but I hear it beeping with every steps he takes. It does not faze him.

- He destroyed my NEW chair 3x in one month, and I had it replaced by Bob's Goof Proof Warranty twice. I am running out of excuses saying it's not cat scratches. I have it covered and did my best to protect the chair. Any other ideas? (its a fake leather arm chair)

- He's become a door dasher. I have to be careful not to let him out (he's gotten out once and I spent half an hour looking for him)

- He opens my fridge and knocks food out (had to go through 3 childproof locks.. THREE!)

- He knocks over my garbage pail, which is now held down by a brick and lid is closed by bungee cords.

Cassie does NOT do any of these things. She's never done anything wrong. She's even good when nail clipping! Why can't Monet be more like her! (I know, I am a bad parent for comparing, LOL)

Regardless, I love my Monet and I would never get rid of him, but I just wish he can be more easily taught! I play with him all the time, he's always harassing Cassie and he's always looking for food.

Bleh. End rant, I guess. LOL

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think certain cats come into our lives to teach us something. We may not know what that 'something' is for month/years. Or as someone wise said, until I the student am ready to learn. Meanwhile it's frustrating. Why can't I figure out what Ritz is telling/teaching me!
Vent all you want!
PS: have you tried putting foil paper on the countertops (or, would he eat them too.....)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I tried tin foil. I tried SCAT air can thingy. I tried Sofa Scram. I've tried using pointy mat.. I give up. I'll learn to love eating and cooking with cat hair. LOL. Nothing fazes this cat. Nothing.

Right now I'd love for him to stop destroying my chair. 90% of the time, it's accidental (jumping on it with claws). But there are times where he does purposely claw it. and he has TWO cat trees on either side of the chair. One tree specifically for them to jump on to get to the window still.

I am ordering those pet covers, see if they help a bit.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Double sided tape worked for me, they hate the stickiness on their claws. The problem is you have to figure out where he would claw and put it there, you can't wrap the whole chair in tape! I got clear so you can't even see it, it's kind of a pain to get the backing off, but it works. Leave it on for a few months then you can remove it after he breaks his 'habit'. I would like to see if Monet would learn to rub against it to get rid of the stickiness with his fur, he sounds THAT smart! 
Good luck and post us if anything works.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I'm afraid the tape would ruin the chair too. It's a cheap fake leather quality

sparta05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Sigh.

- I cannot stop him from jumping on my counters, no matter what. I've tried Sofa Scram, but I hear it beeping with every steps he takes. It does not faze him.

- He destroyed my NEW chair 3x in one month, and I had it replaced by Bob's Goof Proof Warranty twice. I am running out of excuses saying it's not cat scratches. I have it covered and did my best to protect the chair. Any other ideas? (its a fake leather arm chair)

- He's become a door dasher. I have to be careful not to let him out (he's gotten out once and I spent half an hour looking for him)

- He opens my fridge and knocks food out (had to go through 3 childproof locks.. THREE!)

- He knocks over my garbage pail, which is now held down by a brick and lid is closed by bungee cords.

Regardless, I love my Monet and I would never get rid of him, but I just wish he can be more easily taught!
I thought I was the only one with a cat that makes me feel like I'm a parent to a toddler, and a rebellious teenager! My little 7 months old Sparta makes me want to scream....99% of the time, and we've been trying everything to get him to "behave" and break his bad habits.  Good luck with Monet, I know exactly how you feel! All great ideas mentioned above, the tape might work! I feel like a bad parent for saying this, but I always give him a light tap on the bum when I catch him doing something, and then isolate him in the kennel for a few minutes.. and most of the time he stops doing it.  But it's taken 4 months of PATIENCE...and tons of TLC! I've never gotten rid of a cat before, this is my 5th cat.. and I've never had one test my tolerance this badly.

equestrian06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you wanted to try the tape idea on the chair, you could take paper and put it down on the chair first, then put the tape on the paper. Obviously try to get a paper that is of similar color to the chair, your smarty pants cat might figure out its an addition and learn to go back when the paper isn't there! But, you could still try.

I know you said you trim nails, did you consider the kitty nail caps? Ive never used them but Ive heard good things from those who have. The little rubber kitty nail covers?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Originally Posted by Draco  

This morning, I found my pill case missing. Then I find it on the floor with teeth marks, and 4 missing doses of Armour Thyroid. I can't find the pills anywhere.

I "Tested" it out and found out it was Monet, since Cassie refused a pill and Monet went right for it (naturally I didn't give it to him, I wanted to see who was interested in it).

I called a vet this morning, and since I have no idea what time he ate them, they said don't worry too much. he'll probably throw up later, have bad stomach pains and diarrhea. The pill is made of natural pig thyroid, and he probably smells the pork from the pill. I hate this because I have to go to work, I have no days left. i'll be worrying all day long. he had 4 doses of 60 mg.

I am going to continue to vent about Monet.

<snip>

Regardless, I love my Monet and I would never get rid of him, but I just wish he can be more easily taught! I play with him all the time, he's always harassing Cassie and he's always looking for food.
Did everything go ok with him eating the thyroid pills?

And, considering all the things he does, I'd say he is very easily taught.   Just not at learning the things you want to teach him.

How old is Monet, btw?   Has he always been "hungry"?

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just saying thank you for this thread. I thought I was the only one in the whole world loving a completely crazed one who cannot, possibly, be a cat but more a crossing between a St Bernard puppy and a pig. Yes, it's the Rogue... destroyer of leather shoes (dragged out of a previously closed cabinet), escape artist extraordinaire, eater of thread out of the sewing machine. The others, at first, behaved like cats but he's teaching them - who pulled fresh laundry hanging to dry down on the floor only to then drag a mouse onto it to eat? 

well. I guess we open a club called the "lucky cat parents"

after all, we're not looking after living with couch potatoes but really smart little ones.

sparta05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I know you said you trim nails, did you consider the kitty nail caps? Ive never used them but Ive heard good things from those who have. The little rubber kitty nail covers?
I've never used them either, and thought about getting them for our fur baby.. but then I read reviews that you need to reapply them often as they fall off as the cats nails grow out.. and then if you can find them (which isn't easy lol) you can go and reapply them after another nail trim.  Let me know how they go if you get them, as I'm still questioning getting them.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I've never tried the claw caps either. Since monet doesn't like claw trimming- it's a fight every time- I'm not sure if it's worth it!

RE thyroid medication- he was absolutely fine! He may have had some tummy issues since he was a bit mushy that night otherwise no issues.

RE feeling hungry- I think he's just playing scavenger. He doesn't act hungry except at meal times. He's 5 years old now. I can't leave bread out on the counter or its gone. Anything carb related he would snag. More recently, yesterday, I left a boxed cake out on the counter for a party, soon as I leave the room I hear a crash. Monet ate the corners of the box trying to get the cake. Brat. Lol

Last edited:

equestrian06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat went through the scavenging thing for awhile, until he was 7 ish. It was way worse when there were other cats too btw. So maybe he'll outgrow that one. Eventually. Hah

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Ha! Seems impossible he'd grow out of it! lol.

Cassie is just.. perfect. I can't think of one bad thing she does. Ok, well, she scratches at my carpet.. but she's learning to use the new horizontal scratcher I got. lol