Why Are These Males Yowling?

hermitcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have three female cats, all spayed. Before the last one got spayed, there were two neighborhood male cats that came around and yowled at each other and stared each other down, i guess because they were fighting over who got to mate my female kitten. I never saw my female kitten show any interest in either of them, or make any vocalization back. I got her spayed; they stopped coming around. Now over a month later, both males are back, yowling at each other in my yard. I went out to see if there was any other cat out there that they could be fighting over, but there wasn't any. It was just the two males and my three spayed females. Are the males going to yowl at females even if they are spayed? Did a spay fail? Or are they yowling over some female that i didn't see in the area?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They aren't necessarily yowling over your cat, they are yowling over territory, which each would like to claim.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hermitcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They aren't necessarily yowling over your cat, they are yowling over territory, which each would like to claim.
It doesn't make sense to me that they would be fighting over this territory when it has long been occupied by my females. Why are the males only yowling at each other and not at my females? The tabby male has come around before, when none of my cats were in heat, and just sat and watched quietly, not fighting or yowling at my females. The black one only came when my kitten was the age to mate and hadn't been spayed yet. It was only during that time that the black one and tabby one yowled at each other. Today I noticed that one of my cats (the second to get spayed) was rolling around a lot in front of the black one. Isn't that a sign of being in heat?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a spay fail, I think it's pretty rare, but a vet check of her hormones should figure that out for you.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get close enough to them to pick them up? Are they feral or pets? Many counties have local trap/neuter or spay/ release programs. It might be worth looking around to see if you have that option in your area . if not call your local vet and ask them if they can help you with 2 stray feral cats in your area in need of a snip. If they are owned you can post fliers in your neighborhood of 'is this your cat?' and you give their owners a list of local places that will neuter for cheap. I know it isn't your problem, however those cats will get into less problems/fights after they are neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hermitcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you get close enough to them to pick them up? Are they feral or pets? Many counties have local trap/neuter or spay/ release programs. It might be worth looking around to see if you have that option in your area . if not call your local vet and ask them if they can help you with 2 stray feral cats in your area in need of a snip. If they are owned you can post fliers in your neighborhood of 'is this your cat?' and you give their owners a list of local places that will neuter for cheap. I know it isn't your problem, however those cats will get into less problems/fights after they are neutered.
The two males run away as soon as they hear or see me approach. I don't know if they belong to a neighbor or are ferral. Thank you for the advice though.