Why Are So Many Cats Getting Constipated?

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see it too often on the thread that cats are constipated. Are they putting shit into the food that they shouldn't? What is going on? Anyone else notice a trend? My vet even mentioned it.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Many people are still feeding their cats kibble. Cats who eat all wet food can still get constipated, but their risk is much lower. It is very important to make sure your cat does not eat too many carbohydrates or plant proteins because these will go in the poop and make it harder.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my opinion, the vast majority is overfeeding and only feeding dry kibble. However, there are some chronic conditions that can cause constipation, such as kidney disease.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there are many reasons, and a lot of them probably are more pronounced these days with more indoor cats?? My thoughts anyway.
All dry food, or lack of moisture.
Too little fiber, or to much insoluble fiber , some foods, especially indoor foods have a LOT of fiber. Rachel ray wet comes to mind with 17% fiber, compared to weruva and tiki that have either 0% or 1% in most of their foods. Powdered Cellulose is the 4th ingredient?
Stress, can cause lots of problems.
Hairballs
Not liking the litter, the box, or its dirty, they will hold it in.
over weight can cause it.
Lack of exercise, even if not overweight can contribute.
So many possible reasons :oops: