Why are so many brands being discontinued?

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been researching cat foods for a project I am working on, and a surprising number of cat food brands have been discontinued in the last few years. I understand it is a competitive market with a lot of new players, and that COVID led to difficulty getting packaging and ingredients, but some of these brands looked really high quality. One product was even one of my Nocturne's favorites (Tiki Cat After Dark Pate - Duck and Liver. I messaged them and they said they couldn't consistently get the ingredients and were discontinuing it).

American Natural Premium
Blue Buffalo Carnivora
Holistic Select Feline
Luvsome
MeatMe
Meow Mix Grain-Free
Natura - California Natural, EVO, and Innova
Petguard
Purina Muse
Rad Cat
Sensible Choice
Smalls Freeze-Dried?
Sojos Freeze-Dried?
Wag Cat Food
Whole Earth Farms (Merrick)
Wild Calling

And there are others. I'm just worried some of the best brands and flavors will be discontinued for lower-quality products that are easier to source. I have a kitty with IBD and another with diabetes so they need high-quality foods.

Is there any way we can support the brands we like?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't say Im sad to see meow mix going away. That stuff is trash. Used to feed it when it came in a cardboard box or plastic tub but not once the better foods came out

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep buying from the brand and give rave reviews. I am going to start doing that instead of chewy. I have found a brand my cats like that is on clearance and stores will stop selling. My ibd cat eats weruva so I doubt that will ever be discontinued

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can't say Im sad to see meow mix going away. That stuff is trash. Used to feed it when it came in a cardboard box or plastic tub but not once the better foods came out
Don't think Meow Mix is going away, just one type of Meow Mix.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that Meow Mix isn't great : )

Some of the foods maybe... deserve to be discontinued a little more than others... lol

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As the cost of living continues to rise, we will also see brands discontinue things people can no longer afford if the brand can't/won't bring the price down.

RC's 12+ chunks got discontinued too. 🥺

A couple on your list, I tried with my cats and they wouldn't eat it. So perhaps they weren't as popular in many areas if others had similar results.