Whole Chickens/Cornish Game Hens: How Much Bone do you Remove?

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Disclosure: tried the search function...came up with zip.  Thus the the new post.

I think I am going to start using whole chickens for Dr. Pierson's recipe.   Two reasons:

1. Whole chickens are cheaper per lb. as a general rule, and

2. Whole chickens are less processed/handled, thus less risk of salmonella - those bag 'o wings, thighs, etc...are usually the worst offenders in terms of contamination and recalls.

Yeah, yeah, I know salmonella in cats in not the end of the world, but you are underestimating what a neurotic spazzy freak I am - I don't want to be freaking out over Dexter's gut health if I can help it.

I have Cornish hens for the next batch $2.00 a lb - yay.  Would you try and stick to Dr. Pierson's "remove 20%-25% of the bone by removing maybe...the spine and maybe chop some off the drumstick bone?

I know that Dr. Becker's book has one using whole chickens with no bone removal at all.  Dexter is a very normal pooper thus far...no signs of constipation at all.  I remove bone like Dr. P says....

What do you guys do if you use whole birds?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not much help with recipes, but the catnutrition site (similar to Dr. P's recipe) says to use chicken thighs and remove 20-25% bone or use whole chickens. As far as Cornish hens...I got nothing. What an awesome price though!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FYI, for those who feed solely HT meats (which are whole ground animal sans guts), some kitties gets constipated. Sally ( mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens ) adds an organ mix (that is 25% or 50% secreting organs) - I think 1 pound per each 2 pound chub? :dk: Hopefully she'll see this.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I remember there was a thread where mschauer walked someone through how much meat was needed to add to her whole ground chicken... but I don't know how to find it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
FYI, for those who feed solely HT meats (which are whole ground animal sans guts), some kitties gets constipated. Sally (@mrsgreenjeens) adds an organ mix (that is 25% or 50% secreting organs) - I think 1 pound per each 2 pound chub?
Hopefully she'll see this.
Actually, I add 1 lb of the organ mix (which is liver/hearts and gizzards) to 3 1/3 lbs of ground turkey necks and drums, because I felt that grind was really high in bones...something over 20%.  Now I am going to start adding 1 lb of ground boneless turkey thigh into the mix and only 1/2 lb of organ mix, because I want to get that bones % down more.  (Of course, I'm adding in supplements!)  And, thanks to LDG, glandulars that I can just sprinkle over the top (in powder form)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mschauer put a table together: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263570/composition-of-proteins-bone-skin-fat

Whole chickens are 32% bone

Cornish Hens are 39% bone

To get to the approximate 7% - 8% bone content, you need to remove a lot more than 20 - 25%

Her recipe uses thighs, which are 15% bone.
Thanks so much.  I am sure I have seen this before, but mind like a sieve and all that.  Really appreciate your efforts.  If only I could remember half the stuff my brain processes in a day, THAT would be a huge improvement.