who would be the better home?

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok...so I have posted a little bit about the orphan kitten I am taking care of. There were two kittens to begin with but one died right away. They had belonged to one of my moms new barn cats that abandoned them. The original plan was that my mom would take one and I would take one. And she favored the one that died after the first day.
The kitten I have been caring for has been thriving! She is super adorable and I am in love. I feel like she belongs to me. The problem is now my mom thinks she wants her back.
I have 2 housecats. They are not siblings but they are both almost 3 years old. They are beautiful healthy well adjusted cats. Raven is 2 months older than Jack and she is a typical cats cat. Jack was an orphan when I got him also but he was 5 weeks old. He is very loving and sweet, but the more timid of the 2. They are both fixed (and they HAVE claws because I don't declaw). I also have 3 children, age almost 5, 6.5, and almost 8. They are used to living with the cats and they have left this kitten alone because I am very strict about this.
My mom has one housecat, also almost 3 years old. I don't know her cat as well but she seems well adjusted as well. My mom also has a young pomeranian, an aging spanial mix, a collie, and they are hoping to adopt a new farm dog because the family black lab died recently, They also have barncats. And my dad hates housecats, my mom is lucky that they have one.

So I do not want to hurt my mom, but I have been keeping this little one alive and have fallen in love with her and I want to keep her. My husband has agreed to it (but I won't ever have more than 3!!). What do I do and who should get to keep her?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I'm sure your Mom would care for the healthy kitten, living in a houseful of dogs where half the humans don't want him in there doesn't sound like the best choice.

Tell your Mom that after all the time and intensive care you've invested in this little kitten you've fallen in love with him and will be keeping him.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since your parents have barn cats and your dad, as you said, hates housecats, I would be concerned that this kitten would end up in the barn eventually. I hope your mom would understand that you have cared for this kitten and have grown attached to her. Sounds like your home is easily the best choice!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the preceding speakers. Catapult puts it very nicely.

You as the rescuer and healer do always have the "first shot", ie the first choice.
Why 98% procents of rescuers do seek good adoptions homes is because you cant be a rescuer AND adopt every cat you do rescue. Now and then, yes - but not all of them. Otherwise you soon end as owner, and must quit rescuing, OR you become a hoarder...

As you Cravens mom dont identify yourself in first hand as a rescuer, rescuing only occasionally - you do as you please. And now it does pleases you to adopt this little one. So do it.

If your mom wants one house kitten more, she can always adopt one from some nice and good rescuing group, or a shelter. Or even - try with some of her own barn cats. There is surely at least one who seems adoptable.
This way, both of you will get happy, and you will also together make two good dees instead of only one...

Good luck!