Who Has the Most Cats

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 11. I was down to only seven seniors and I was so happy.
Easy. they have their own section of the house, 2 rooms with a real cat tree and a tram around the wall near the ceiling. Also an attached enclosure ouside.

Then there were 2 feral cats, a mom and baby living under some big machines. Our road was being repaired and I knew when it reopened, they would get killed by a car.
Soooooooo, yes Spot and her baby came in. I lost Spot last February to Chylousperitonium. Beeba, her son, turned to me as his mom. That made 8.

Then, only 1 female barn cat was left. She was pregnant. I knew if she had them in the barn they would be so wild and it would be carnage on the road. My heart could not stand that possibility. Took Slick in, she must not have been totally feral because she tamed down immediately.
She had 6 black and white kittens last March. Found good homes with people I knew for 4 babies. That left Slick and two kittens. Grand total, 11. The good thing is there are no more barn cats, male or female That was my plan to finally after 30 years, not to have any in the barn. No footprints in the snow this year.

Beeba lives in the main area of the house, the rest in the cat area. The window over my sink looks into their area, and I am always back there cleaning or playing with them.

It is a lot of work to keep clean, but I am a fanatic. There is a woman down the road who is a hoarder.
I have been in her home and I vow never to live like that. Nor would I make my DH live that way.

Sorry I ran on, just am trying to explain the number! Great question!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I should write their names down:

Buddy
Arthur (after my Dad)
Hister
E ( I know its a silly name)
Jane
Angel (Gel)
Goofy
Beeba
Slick
Fetch
Bubble

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have eleven, but one who found a forever home isn't adjusting well and may be coming back to stay. If anyone can get near her that is...

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have 17. So I probably win for the moment but by June I should be down to 10!

This of course includes cats & kittens so currently residing are:
(A * denotes permanent residents)

Elmo (10 year old Neuter) *
Sophie (9 year old Spay) *
Flutterby (3 year old Queen) *
Fluffy (2 year old Queen)
Tales (1 year old Queen)
Sunshine (10-11 year old foster Spay)
Pansy Wong (9 week old female kitten)

Flutterby's 5 kittens - Brie, Camembert, Stilton, Gorgonzola & Roquefort
Tale's 5 kittens - *insert fancy names here*

Pansy wong will be leaving us in the next few weeks and Sunshine my foster since August will be going to a home next week!

Did I mention I breed Persian cats and I've just had my first Domestic experience..well aside from judging them for years!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We *only* have five (soon to be six again!)

Whisper (she'll be 16 in July)
Bootser (Whisper's litter sister, so she'll be 16 in July, too)
BooBoo (Whisper's son who will turn 14 on February 13)
Ms. Pepe (Whisper's daughter and Boo's sister, so she'll be 14 on February 13, too)
Amber Louise (who turned 7 back in late October)

And forgive me, but I have to mention Banshee (aka "The Queen B"). She would have been 14 in September; she died on August 11, 2009. That girl was my life. We all have that one special kitty who means everything to us....well, she was mine. And when she passed away, she took a large chunk of my heart with her. My baby.

It seems that we usually stay right around six cats. We know that we can handle six cats with the vet bills, food, litter, and love. We know that we can't go over six....and for some reason, we can't seem to stay below six. It's like we're supposed to have six cats. And only six.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

Just wondering. Does anyone know who has the most cats on this board.
I have two, I know there are some of you with many more. Who has the most.
I guarantee you that you and I with only two cats are in the extreme minority. Although it has been done before, you should have made this a poll so we could look at a graphical chart of number of cats owned. The last time we had a poll the winner was in the thirties...

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, not me. I've down sized so now it's just Bella and me
.The most cats that me and my boyfriend had at one time were six. We lived in a very small one-bedroom apartment. I was thrilled that each cat had his own window. It was tricky not tripping over one of them at night on my way to the bathroom! My landlord was great about it and never charged me extra for the little furballs. It eventually got crowded when they got bigger. So, I had to do the only logical thing a cat lover could do--I got rid of the boyfriend

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 5, Fudge, Candy, Floss, Smartie and Billy, wow yes it does make me feel like I have not got that many on here, I would love to e-home another needy kitty but hubby would not agree
x

oodlesofpoodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only have two kitties at the moment. I actually have never had more than two pets at one time. someday i will have more. lol

mommysugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bellaandme

Well, not me. I've down sized so now it's just Bella and me
.The most cats that me and my boyfriend had at one time were six. We lived in a very small one-bedroom apartment. It eventually got crowded when they got bigger. So, I had to do the only logical thing a cat lover could do--I got rid of the boyfriend
bellaandme that's awesome, your funny.

I only have one lil furbaby.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now, 8 of my own. But in spring and summer that increases with the fosters - last year at one point I had 21 in the house.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have 10 right now: 6 of my own, and 4 fosters (who may end up being my own!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

I have 10, that isn't the most, but I do have the BIGGEST cats
That's the truth!!!!!

Not us - we "just" have seven inside-only. ...though we may "win" for most cats per square foot, living in the RV. ...but even that I'm not so sure - Sam, how large is your place?

I'm not sure how many Katie Mae has, I was going to nominate her for the most indoor-only kitties - but Sam, I'm pretty sure you've got her beat, at least temporarily!

For most kitties including outdoor cats, I was going to say I think it's FurryFriends50.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I currently have 10 inside and 1 outside feral. I am sure that I am at my limit although my heart will break if I have to turn some poor kitty away.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

This would be a good TCS trivia question. My guess would be Momofmany, but I could be wrong...
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I was going to say Mom of Many or Katie mae.
Thanks for the vote, but I know I don't have the most cats on this site. When I first joined, I was caring for about 17 cats, but currently have 11 cats and 3 dogs. All of mine were feral rescues. Katiemae's cats are all FeLV rescues.

I have 6 senior cats and the other 5 will officially become seniors next year. 2 of my seniors were diagnosed with cancer in the past week so soon I will have 9.

I'm not sure who has the most cats right now. There have been people that have popped on here with 20 or more.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Thanks for the vote, but I know I don't have the most cats on this site. When I first joined, I was caring for about 17 cats, but currently have 11 cats and 3 dogs. All of mine were feral rescues. Katiemae's cats are all FeLV rescues.

I have 6 senior cats and the other 5 will officially become seniors next year. 2 of my seniors were diagnosed with cancer in the past week so soon I will have 9.

I'm not sure who has the most cats right now. There have been people that have popped on here with 20 or more.
By the way, what officially is a senior cat?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Eight years old. 5 of mine turn 7 very soon. Another 15 months and I'll have all seniors.
40 percent of mine are seniors then. And Elsa will be eight in a year, I can't believe she's been here 5 years already.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gee, we only have 4 cats in an 800-square-foot apt. But people who aren't cat lovers think we're crazy! But c'mon —it works out to just two cats apiece.

I try never to engage in debates about how many is too many, but I suspect that 60 cats is a sign of a problem if you're not running a shelter.

When we adopted our two kittens, we were thinking about taking one of their siblings, too. Our vet told us that they deal with far more more behavior problems in 5-cat households than in 4-cat ones. Five is the "tipping point" according to them. I know it's anecdotal evidence. But we listened.

And when the kittens got ringworm, I was grateful that we only had to make one trip to the vet and the groomer every week, with a carrier in each hand. Four carriers fit neatly across the back seat of our car. So 4 it remains.