who else lives somewhere where they hide their cats?

freaknpink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a tiny 1br apartment and my landlord thinks I have 1 cat...but I have 4.
Ive been here 3 years and have added a cat per year. People just dump poor kitties around here and I couldn't help myself. I'm always living in fear that I'll be evicted because getting rid of any of them would never happen. Rentals are so unforgiving of cats... it's sad. All the places I called before moving here said no cats or you must declaw. My cats have done a little damage to a few corners and a window ledge... Which was my fault for not having a perch or tall enough scratching post at the time. I paid a 300 deposit and feel that covers what they've done.
I even offered to pay a 300 deposit for each cat at one place last year and they turned me down.

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does your lease say no cats or no animals? If the lease does not say anything about pets then there is nothing to be done unless the landlord sees them.

I kind of have a simmilar sisuation. When I moved in I told my landlord I had 2 dogs. I never mentioned I also had 3 cats.... Well the two dogs are done and we ended up with another cat (We didnt have a dog lifes style) were not sure if they seen our newest but we know they seen the other 3. I wouldnt stress to much unless your lease says anything and depeding on where your living it wont matter if you have them (Canada, On) unless casuing damage... So your on the fence as they have caused damage and they may be able to do something about the amount and space you have.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I moved into my building almost 12 yrs ago now, it was no pets. About 3 years ago under new management, it went pet friendly for small animals...BUT....only 1 with a pet deposit. Well...I went and got 2, then a third, never said a word about them. Plus I've fostered a few. Management is not on premises and any maintenance is done by the in house guy, who happens to be a good friend, so my cats live here under the radar.

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do you keep them from the windows? If I wanted to hide my cats I'd be out of luck.

jekyllsmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat goes for a sleepover to my father in laws each time we have a house inspection.
We hide he's toys and everything to do with him. We clean like mad but recently they've said they can smell a cat! So I think we're busted :(

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
my apartment complex was once a no pet place. But I've seen cats in other people's windows.. so I inquired about them and the manager at the time said "yes, you can have a cat, but be quiet about it".. so I got Monet. Manager saw the cat, said nothing. two mantence guys saw the cat, said nothing.

so.. I have two cats and not paying deposit. I don't think they can do anything about it now since I was there before new management took over.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We had tenants who tried to hide a cat, although their lease didn't say "no cats" and we didn't have anything against them having them. One time we had to visit them to discuss a kitchen remodel and happened to see that they had a litter box, carrier, toys and bowls hidden in the cellar; the cat was apparently at a friend's or relative's. It was really funny, because we had already seen the cat sitting in the windows on several occasions and didn't think anything of it. :lol3: I guess they were afraid to ask.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried to hide my cats. In fact when I first moved into my building in 1996, right below where I sign the lease, there was a huge, all capital letters "NO PETS ALLOWED". I just crossed that off and signed.  They sent me my lease.

This last lease I got did not say anything about no pets. I went line by line and no where in the lease is it mentioned.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't live in a rental, this house is owned but I still try and keep my cats out of certain windows as we found out we might have more than the city allows. We live right on the boarder of two suburbs and they have way different rules for how many pets you can have.

I won't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone or a package. If people would take care of their animals we wouldn't have as many as we do, seeing as how most of them are rescues. I cannot turn away a helpless or sick animal even if it means getting in trouble, my beliefs out way my regard for ordinance in this case. All of our animals are indoor so it's not as if they are running through the neighborhood, although two of them were and we took them in.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol...I can totally relate here. My association allows one pet under so many pounds, so it's typically a cat or small dog. I have three cats. However, I don't think they are very strict because I see people with two dogs and large dogs way over the pound limit. When all three cats are looking out the windows I say, "You boys are gonna get me in trouble!"  When I bring them out on the patio, I do a rotation so that there's only one cat out there at a time.

I guess I'm a little paranoid that some jerk will see and report me.
  Although, you know, I wouldn't give up the cats. I would move.

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jcat - I lol'd att your response. I would have said something to mess with them slightly to see if they would fess up to having a cat then been like its fine your lease doesn't say no cats. :p Mine says must ask foe permission before obtaning a new pet and I didn't ask. Even through the landlords know we have pets I still round up the cats and place them in a room. Not to hide them I just feel better we used to put the dogs behind the doors to and they knew about them and meet them/pet them all the time. :) ,

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my other apartment I did til  the manager came over and notice Bella and I had to pay $150.00 but I lived there so long they charged me only 10.00 more  a month.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It wouldn't do any good to hide my cats, as 3 of them were "Christmas presents" from the owner of the house, my brother, who is also an advisor on here.

Last edited:

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They increased your rent because you had a cat.... That's crazy!

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. We paid a $400 deposit. Hope its refundable if we didn't cause any damage! That still blew my mind lol

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. We paid a $400 deposit. Hope its refundable if we didn't cause any damage! That still blew my mind lol
I've been looking around at apartments because I keep thinking I want to move. I've noticed that more and more apartments are becoming pet friendly, but in addition to the regular damage deposit, they also want an amount equal to half of the rent as a pet deposit.  I suspect that a number of those places keep the deposit and claim that damages were the result of a pet.  Not easy to fight something like that.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been looking around at apartments because I keep thinking I want to move. I've noticed that more and more apartments are becoming pet friendly, but in addition to the regular damage deposit, they also want an amount equal to half of the rent as a pet deposit.  I suspect that a number of those places keep the deposit and claim that damages were the result of a pet.  Not easy to fight something like that.
I got all of my regular deposit back, but I obviously did not get the nonrefundable pet deposit back.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
The trick to making sure you get your deposit back is to take photos before you even move in. Photograph all the damages before hand (every little scratch).. and put the photos in an envelope. Mail it to yourself, but do NOT open it. The post office will put that dated stamp on the envelope, which is proof of the dates of photos taken.

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is smart. I know around here alot are becoming bin per friendly because of people letting their pets destroy the apartments. Mostly dogs chewing doors, ledges anything they can really get those teeth in. When I was a child my dad had to prove he nuterd our cat and they required him to have papered declaw to (ick) I know some people who don't nuter their males and they just pee/spray everywhere and they don't really clean it. I often feel horrible for landlords. My moms cat pees on the floor (I'm convinced she's got an uti or a stone) they have been putting off tests and such and she just keeps peeing on the floor. I don't blame them for requiring a deposit but it should be refundable and it shouldn't increase rent.