Whitney fell out the window

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whitney my 14 month cat enjoys looking out my second story window at the wonderful world outside. She sees people walking dogs, children playing, and all sorts of wildlife. Unfortunately this AM a Squirrel was mocking her from a nearby ledge and she pushed the screen out trying to get to him.

I did not see the fall but was in the room and ran to the window immediately and saw Whitney standing in the garden next to the screen frozen and looking up at me. I was not dressed and took 30 sec to toss on clothes and get to her. From the time she landed to the time I got her-maybe one minute she had not moved an inch.

Once inside she ran all over the house like a banchee and ate her breakfast. She then returned to her fave window spot-with the window now closed.

She fell one story. Not sure if she rode the screen all the way down but if she did it def woulda been a soft landing. I know she was for 2 minutes in shock but now emotionally is fine. I am in medicine but I also know kittys hide their pain. I am on the fence regarding a vet visit. She hates the vet.

Would you guys run to the vet for a one story fall? BTW I am confident she was on her feet T/O the fall.

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh, that's tough. I've had cats fall out of windows too. Needless to say, all our windows are closed now. I had a cat fall from the 2nd story window to the 1st story landing. Fortunately, we were able to get him inside immediately. Once he calmed down, I inspected him by palpating every spot of his body. He didn't wince or cry when I touched anywhere, so we didn't bring him to the vet. That was 3 years ago & he was fine. Personally, if there is no evidence of injury & no issues when you touch her all over, I'd be inclined to wait it out, keeping a watchful eye on her. But, of course, the vet is never a bad idea. 

But I'd really watch for obvious signs of limping or pain, but also appetite, vomiting & litter box usage. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I will watch wait too. I felt her all over and she hissed but she always does that. So now I will play with her some and watch how her body moves.  I wonder if they have screens that are a bit tougher to push out-with fire hazards and all it might be diff to locate. It is over 80 degrees in Cali now . We need our windows open.

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I'm not really sure. Did she push the whole screen out, or just tear through the mesh? On all 4 occasions (3 different cats in 2 different homes) they ripped the screen with their claws. We went to home depot & bought some thicker mesh screen & this little roller thing that you use to reinstall mesh. It's actually quite easy. I'm sure there are dozens of youtube tutorials. I live in an apt, so I really don't feel like spending all this money to re mesh every window just for someone else. But if I had a house, I probably would. 

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad she seems okay.  She really should be fine but could have a minor injury as noted so it's best to watch.  It wouldn't be wrong to go to vet if you want, but I don't necessarily disagree with just observing her on your own.

As far as screen what matters is if she ripped through a fiberglass screen (fabric-like material) or pushed the whole assembly out frame and all.  If she just ripped through the screen and the frame remained attached to its tracks in the window, then the best and fairly simple thing to do is have the screen material replaced with metal screen (aka "hardware cloth").  You can do it yourself perhaps, with the same screen frame, or you can find a hardware store to do it for you (not Home Depot I don't think, but an Ace Hardware/similar or independent shop).  If she has pushed the entire assembly out of where it belongs, either because the frame or tracks failed somehow or because it's just a propped in temporary screen, then you'll have to work on something tougher to keep the whole frame and such in place, perhaps a different design or something. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If she ripped the screen itself, you could try replacing it with PetScreen. It's available at a number of home/building supplies stores. We got it a number of years ago after our last cat destroyed the screen in our kitchen window. It's held up remarkably well, but does make it a bit darker inside.

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she ripped the screen itself, you could try replacing it with PetScreen. It's available at a number of home/building supplies stores. We got it a number of years ago after our last cat destroyed the screen in our kitchen window. It's held up remarkably well, but does make it a bit darker inside.
Wow, I didn't know this existed! I'm going to tell my parents about this because their cat is a repeat offender!

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No she did not rip the screen she shoved it and it fell out with her. That is how the screens are removed. The screen behaved normally. I put it back in and I am searching for a clip but I can't seem to find it as I can't install it on the second floor w/o a ladder.

Last edited:

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow. Until you get a permanent solution, items on the window sill to discourage sitting in that particular window sill and/or duct tape - lots of it, and then some more. Try jamming strips of wood against the frame that prevent her from pushing against the screen. Neither of you want this to happen again.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Is the window recessed? If so, you could cut a plastic or metal trellis/latticework to size and wedge or tape it inside for reinforcement. Or get one of those adjustable screens that slide horizontally to fit in the window frame and have two screens.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No she did not rip the screen she shoved it and it fell out with her. That is how the screens are removed. The screen behaved normally. I put it back in and I am searching for a clip but I can't seem to find it as I can't install it on the second floor w/o a ladder.
My window screens are like that
To remove them, I have to pull up slightly to depress the internal clips and then swing the whole frame out of the window and then turn it sideways to pull it inside
I do not trust the window screens to hold up to my two cats. When I do have the windows open in warm weather, they're only open about 4 inches or so. I tried adjustable window screens as a second layer but those looked unsightly.
I'll have to look for the Pet Screen. My sliding door screens need replacing but I'm not sure how to replace them. There's no balacony outside the doors, just a useless Juliette one, and it's 3 stories up.

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TY for everyone's advice and comments.

Whit seems fine, the screen is back in place and I don't think she even recalls how she flew out. Not many solutions out there for this predicament.