White Poop And Antibiotics?

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, just was wondering if anyone knows anything about antibiotics causing pale yellow colored stools. Shes been on a prescription antibiotic for about 3 days now and her stool has changed color completely. I called the vet who prescribed them but he didn't even answer my call and the secretary brushed me off with a yeahhhh that's normal nothing to worry about. Its irritating to not get a full response and im growing more and more fed up of this vet office hardly ever providing any information.
Thanks for your thoughts.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Clay-colored or pale yellow stools can be caused by problems with the liver, gallbladder or pancreas. It is possible that there is something about the antibiotic that is not agreeing with your cat. If it is just one or two times, and then returns to normal, then it's likely not a whole lot to be concerned about. Is the stool of normal consistency?

What is the antibiotic, what is it for, and how long is she due to be on it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Clay-colored or pale yellow stools can be caused by problems with the liver, gallbladder or pancreas. It is possible that there is something about the antibiotic that is not agreeing with your cat. If it is just one or two times, and then returns to normal, then it's likely not a whole lot to be concerned about. Is the stool of normal consistency?

What is the antibiotic, what is it for, and how long is she due to be on it?
The antibiotic is actually for a intestinal bacteria that has been causing bleeding in her lower gi tract. Shes going to be on it for 7 more days. It was a normal shape and consistancy other then the color. The antibiotic is metronidazole.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, now that you mention it, I have heard of some forms of bacterial infection actually causing a stool color change like you have described. But, that can't be it because your cat's stool didn't change color until after starting the antibiotic, right?

I have never heard of this particular side effect with Metro, nor have I read about it in the numerous members' posts on this site who have used it. Does your vet have a dedicated tech you could ask to talk to (mine does, which is why I am asking). They will normally relay questions to the vet they work with and then either have the vet call you or call you back themselves with the answer.

If that doesn't work, I would wait another 2-3 days and see if normal color resumes. A one or two day issue of color change would not be a real cause for alarm. But, if other signs of a health issue arise (lethargy, eating issues, more changes in the stool), I would be screaming down the vet's throat. Maybe even a visit to the vet's office yourself to ask in front of anyone who is there? Sometimes, that's all it takes to get their full attention! ;)