White pasta-ry stuff in kitten stool

Alakasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there
My 6 month bengal just had a poop outside his litter box, ive recently started swapping his old food with new food slowly, i put in 20% of the new one mixed with the old food.

In the poop, theres some white pasta ry things, around 0.7cm thick and 1.5cm long and flat
What are these?
I will see tomorrow what his stool is like
Sorry for the photos, theyre pretty graphic

P_20200130_195225.jpg
P_20200130_194958.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alakasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He just threw up, he hasnt ate since lunch, its 8.30pm atm

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This is the kitten you got from the BYB a bit over a month ago?
I can't diagnose from this but I think you should take him to the vet. Those little white segments may be tapeworms, and that would account for throwing up etc.

Alakasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the kitten you got from the BYB a bit over a month ago?
I can't diagnose from this but I think you should take him to the vet. Those little white segments may be tapeworms, and that would account for throwing up etc.
Im in china, and city is in lockdown at the moment, vets is a no go... I did start his anti worming medicine. he has a few days till next pill.

Normally how long does it take for tapeworms to develop, he hasnt been outside at all...
Could it be in food?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That could still work.. But I'm still guessing as to the issue.
Has he eaten? It's really important that cats don't go too long without food, and certainly without water.

Is the whole place in lock-down? I'm thinking you're not in Wuhan?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you just gave him dewormer, my understanding is that it can be dead worms and that’s the confirmation that the dewormer works.. not sure if that works that way with the tapeworms but it does with some other. That’s assuming he got the wide spectrum dewormer. Are you supposed to repeat the treatment after 10-14 days?
Can you maybe email this photo to your vet, any chance they’d read it..?

Alakasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He ate this lunch, then after around 7 hours just had this stool plus the vomiting, hes vomited 3 times now, now its just water, no food or anything.
I will update tomorrow morning when i wake up.

Alakasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you just gave him dewormer, my understanding is that it can be dead worms and that’s the confirmation that the dewormer works.. not sure if that works that way with the tapeworms but it does with some other. That’s assuming he got the wide spectrum dewormer. Are you supposed to repeat the treatment after 10-14 days?
Can you maybe email this photo to your vet, any chance they’d read it..?
Dewormer is every month until 6 months and then every three months iirc.
With fleas, what are the most telltale signs that he might have it? He doesnt really itch himself much...
Also, hes been drinking, but not eating, just laying on my lap feeling sorry for himself i guess.

Will take tomorrow to the vets if theyre open and if problem persists

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dewormer is every month until 6 months and then every three months iirc.
With fleas, what are the most telltale signs that he might have it? He doesnt really itch himself much...
Also, hes been drinking, but not eating, just laying on my lap feeling sorry for himself i guess.

Will take tomorrow to the vets if theyre open and if problem persists
I misunderstood then, I thought he’s been given the pill recently. With some dewormers it’s worth repeating after the incubation period as most dewormers works on adult worms only, not cysts or eggs. Unless he gets the long lasting one, but even with those, my vet always repeats the process if the dead worms are found.
I’d take him to the vet, that’s a lot of vomiting :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen my share of worms in poop, and that doesn't really look like worms to me. It looks like bone or cartilage bits, or something similar. Has he eaten anything weird lately? What's his usual food like?

At any rate, the vomiting has gone on too long so he should see the vet. Take that poop in so the vet can have a look.

banbury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but when tapeworm segments are passed, they look like little grains of rice. Your best bet is to have a fecal test done but if it is tapeworms, be sure to treat for fleas at the same time to avoid re-infestation.

Alakasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So morning/afternoon update, woke up this morning to an energetic Lucas!
No vomiting, started eating food when i put it down and is active as he used to be!

No idea what happened last night. Ive been recently doing a lot of cleaning with strong disinfectants, maybe he licked it off his paws? Also, two nights before he jumped into my turtle tank and got his paws wet with turtle water...