White/light Grey Cat Poop?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

The past couple of days I've noticed that my cat's poop has been very light almost white and light grey. I've already done a google search and I know that it probably isn't good. Like liver disease/failure? or a blocked bile duct? Anyway, I scheduled him for a vet appointment immediately after I cleaned the poop again today. Thankfully, I got him scheduled for today.

Does anyone know of anything that could cause this besides the liver? Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! The cat food manufacturer may have changed the formula or an ingredient or several, or your water quality changed.
Is he indoor/outdoor? He could have ingested something outside that isn't agreeing. Thank you so very much for being so responsible and getting your furbuddy in asap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! The cat food manufacturer may have changed the formula or an ingredient or several, or your water quality changed.
Is he indoor/outdoor? He could have ingested something outside that isn't agreeing. Thank you so very much for being so responsible and getting your furbuddy in asap.
Thank you for your reply :) He is only indoor, but he does have pica so who knows what he could have eaten. I'm just hoping it won't be anything too serious especially since he is still young.

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Be sure to take a fecal sample with you on your appointment. I hope it's something simple, like the pica. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Yes, thank you, I have it all ready to take lol :). Could it possibly be parasites? He did have fleas at one point. But I'm not sure that parasites would make the whole poop white/ light grey.

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Already back from the vet lol. Unfortunately, my fur baby remembers the surgeon that gave him surgery to get a cyst removed on his face and absolutely hates her and is terrified of her. They were not able to do anything today really :( I have to give him a sedative 2 hours before an appointment I made for tomorrow. She is going to run a urinalysis on him (I've caught him a couple times with his actual penis sticking out and him licking it; he also had a bladder infection a couple months ago) and just a normal exam because she couldn't even do that today.

However, when she was trying to do the exam on him, he actually pooped and she used that as the fecal sample. She didn't find any parasites, but his poop had 2x the amount of bacteria that it should. So she gave me some antibiotic chews for this. Anyone know what could cause the extra bacteria? intestinal infection?

Thank you everyone for the help. I really appreciate it. :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well i dont know, but hopefully the chews will take care of it, bless his heart. Hopefully no other problems. Let us know what you find out after his exam tomorrow. Sending good wishes!

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet was able to get the urinalysis done with the sedatives. Good news, no issues with his urine. So right now, just going to see how he does with the antibiotic chews and go from there. Thank you everyone :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's bile that gives poop its characteristic color. Bile is made by the liver and stored in the gall bladder, which dispenses it to the intestines to help in digestion; that's the reason for the concern about possible liver or gall bladder problems. Pica comes into it if the cat has been eating something indigestible (say, cat litter) that would show up as gray or white in the poop. It's not mysterious that it happens, the only mystery is why it happened to this cat.

Margret