White Cat Breed?

Mk129

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted this one year old male, out of curiosity I've looked up differing cat breeds but I can't seem to find one he looks like. Could it be a mix, or maybe he's just a shorthair that happens to be white? He has less rounded facial features than I would expect from a shorthair, so that's what makes me more curious.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mk129

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a particular breed of cat called a Khao Manee that he really resembles, but it's a pretty rare breed so I'm not sure

Mk129

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He does, so very gorgeous :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He may have a Orientale in the background, whom are often solid colored. And white is dominant, so a natural son to a Oriental will too be white.

He may even be a Russian White of pet quality - but those are rare. Least rare they are in Australia.

Where do you live, what country?

Mk129

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in The United States. They were introduced here a while ago I'm pretty sure but are still very rare. He has a small black mark on his head, which I read is also a common trait in younger Khao Manees.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Despite the fact that the Khao Manee was only recently granted "Preliminary New Breed" status by TICA, they're one of the twenty-three Thai cats mentioned and illustrated in the Tamra Maew, hence the breed's heritage stretches back at least into the middle of the fourteenth century (and in the case of the Diamond Eye, rather quite a bit further than that). Their genetics carry two eye colours only - gold and blue - and a cat showing green eyes won't have Khao Manee ancestry.

StefanZ StefanZ is, as usual, quite right here, I think. Your lovely white kitty does, indeed, have both Oriental facial conformation and body type. It's difficult to tell at this age, but I'm not seeing the seven plane head associated with Russians; I'd think personally that this little kitty might very well have Oriental (That) influence, though absent a DNA marker examination, she'd properly be called a Domestic Shorthair. abyeb abyeb or Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico - any other thoughts?

Edit: Russian Whites are, indeed, extremely rare, and only recently (just under seven years ago, in fact) has one - GC Rubanthom's Artic Cristal - Granded at any North American show circuit.

Rubanthom Russian Blues

She may be seen here:

http://www.rubanthom.com/articcristalGC1.jpg

for head plane comparison.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Khao Manee has eyes of different colors, at least, are supposed to have.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He's so cute! His face is very characteristic of the Oriental descendants. The small black mark on his head can be seen in a lot of white cats, that's the color the white is masking.

Wags

My Niki
Adult Cat
Purraise
Khao Manee Cats do have different coloured eyes, but he cetainly does have an oriental look about him. RW should have the same profile as RB with the flat angles, and many white cats are born with black on their head (including RW) which usually fads by about 1-2 years. Pick below is Nikis profile for comparison (obviously blue but I'm in Australia and she has some white in her lineage). Beautiful cat :)
View media item 419138View media item 419472

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with the Oriental Blood hypothesis, It looks quite reasonable given her face and body type. Depending on his profile, he could be, as StefanZ StefanZ pointed out, a nice look alike for a pet quality Russian White.
I think he is a tabby underneath, though. I am seeing a ghost mark M on his forehead, or am I seeing things that are not there?