Whiskers

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone,

I have what is probably a bit of a silly question, but I'm hoping that someone has an answer for me. :-3

Mackerel just lost a whisker while she was grooming- I've never seen any whiskers around the place so I think this is the first one that's fallen out. Is this something to be concerned about? How often does a cat lose whiskers? Do they grow back?

Here's a picture of Mack's glorious whiskers. XD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your quick answer.
Any idea how long it takes for them to be replaced?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of whiskers, did you ever notice that nearly all cats have white whiskers, regardless of their coat color? The only exceptions I've seen are all black cats like my little Squeak, who has black whiskers. Does anyone know of a multicolored cat that doesn't have white whiskers?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

I have a collection of every whisker I've found for 23 years (hundreds)! One of these days I'll figure out what to do with them.
Haha, that's awesome! There's something fascinating about Mackerel's whisker... I can't leave the thing alone. It might have to go into a box somewhere to begin my collection. :p

You should make a fan from them. Or a sculpture of a cat. XD Go nuts!

Thanks for the replies everyone. :-3

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mackerel does indeed have an impressive set of Whiskers!

I love whiskers! Ootay (rb 5/09) was such a tiny cat, but her whiskers were sop long, the longest Ive ever seen, and they were usually curled into a circle in front of her face.

I save found whiskers too!

I have noticed that most whiskers are white, but some of my cats have just one black one.

Whiskers are a fascinating subject!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Mackerel does indeed have an impressive set of Whiskers!

I love whiskers! Ootay (rb 5/09) was such a tiny cat, but her whiskers were sop long, the longest Ive ever seen, and they were usually curled into a circle in front of her face.

I save found whiskers too!

I have noticed that most whiskers are white, but some of my cats have just one black one.

Whiskers are a fascinating subject!
Moose, my orange tabby, has white and black whiskers. Lucy's (torbie) has half black and half white ones.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack has white and black--he's red. It makes me wonder if he is really calico but doesn't show black.

Ginger's tortie kitten had all black whiskers.

I'll hafta check Ginger since she is a torbie--if I remember correct she has both white and black like Jack.

Leslie

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tolly, my Red boy, is one who always has one black whisker.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hannah, my tabby girl has nice, long white whiskers and eyebrow whiskers. Callie, my tortie, always has one or 2 white whiskers, but the rest are black. The white whiskers are always on the same side as the orange patch of fur on the left side of her face.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my mams ginger kitty has mainly white whiskers but he does have some black ones and hes got one whisker that is black and white hes also go one that is white and then a centimetre or so from the end of it theres a black spot makes it look as if its a floating whisker hehe

daisy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Daisy is a Devon Rex with curly whiskers. They get brittle and break off all the time, usually on one side!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Hannah, my tabby girl has nice, long white whiskers and eyebrow whiskers. Callie, my tortie, always has one or 2 white whiskers, but the rest are black. The white whiskers are always on the same side as the orange patch of fur on the left side of her face.
That's so interesting!

Originally Posted by -_aj_-

my mams ginger kitty has mainly white whiskers but he does have some black ones and hes got one whisker that is black and white hes also go one that is white and then a centimetre or so from the end of it theres a black spot makes it look as if its a floating whisker hehe
floating whisker, haha!

Originally Posted by Daisy1

Daisy is a Devon Rex with curly whiskers. They get brittle and break off all the time, usually on one side!
]
Jennie now and then has some broken off whiskers. I've read about it before, from other people, so don't worry.

Right now she is missing all but two black eyebrow whiskers over her right eye. Her other eyebrow whiskers are fine. I think Mazy took them out in some rough play. I waited too long to trim claws I think.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my RB kitties, had an interesting relationship. Simon would chew off Harrison's whiskers and eyebrows, leaving little stubs (didn't seem to bother Harrison!).
After Simon went to the RB, Harrison's whiskers grew back and he just didn't look like himself.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am convinced that it is the whiskers just growing in that are black. After they're fully grown, they turn white.

That's the only explanation I can come up with that Punkin always has one or two black whiskers, and not in the same location.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I am convinced that it is the whiskers just growing in that are black. After they're fully grown, they turn white.

That's the only explanation I can come up with that Punkin always has one or two black whiskers, and not in the same location.
I think you may be on to something here! Lola has gorgeous whiskers...the longest I've ever seen on a cat. Some of her whiskers are 6 inches long, or even slightly longer. Her whiskers are black right at the base, and then white to the tip.

Here's Lola's whiskers!