Which Room Should The New Kitten Be In?

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!

I just got my new kitten, Anya, who's currently nine weeks and just came home this morning. I also have another cat, Finn, who is two and a half years. I put Anya up in my spare bedroom, but she's just been mewing up a storm when I'm not in there with her and I feel awful. I'm not sure if I should move her to my bedroom, but that would mean locking out Finn who loves be able to come into the bedroom. Would it be better to leave Anya alone in the spare room, or to keep Finn out of the bedroom at night? I'm just worried because Anya is so young, but this is the age her former owner wanted to adopt her out at.

Pics of the new and old baby attached! :)

Edit to add that I set up a heated blanket nest with stuffed animals in there with her, I was thinking of getting a snugglekitty too if that's a good idea?

Attachments

Last edited:

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is Finn reacting to the new kitten? The best thing about bringing home young kittens is they rarely provoke a strong territorial response in older cats. Also they are very ready learn the rules of the house from the older cats, so you can usually accelerate introductions.

So as much as possible, I'd bring them together for playtime, meals, etc.

EDIT: the only thing you really have to monitor is the difference in energy levels, and make sure the kitten has lots of play time so as not to drive Finn too crazy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is Finn reacting to the new kitten? The best thing about bringing home young kittens is they rarely provoke a strong territorial response in older cats. Also they are very ready learn the rules of the house from the older cats, so you can usually accelerate introductions.

So as much as possible, I'd bring them together for playtime, meals, etc.
Thank you so much for the reply! I put her carrier down on the ground to close the door when she first came in and he hissed and swatted at it, but other than that hasn't responded to the mewing and is normally active and affectionate. He keeps trying to get into the baby room. I'll invest in a baby gate or dog crate so I can start having them see each other during meals and playtime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't thank you guys enough for your help! It's only been three days but they're playing together and will sit on my lap together! I've been so anxious about introducing them and after the initial hissing and swiping, it went so much better than expected. Finn's a really energetic cat so I think he's excited to have someone who appreciates being pounced on.