Which premade raw?

winnielouise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have my two kittens (4 month old male and 2.5 month old female) on a 50/50 mix of Nature's Variety Raw and Fancy Feast. First tried a few better quality brands of wet, but apparently they prefer junk food. I use the pate versions and do not feed the fish varieties. They go NUTS for the FF alone, will slowly eat their meals of the two mixed, but will turn their noses up at 100% NV raw  
. My last kitty ate NV raw as though every meal was her last and was the picture of health..slim and sleek, beautiful coat, perfect stools, etc. I want the best for these little guys as well...

Should I try a different brand of premade raw? I really haven't looked into other options, but I'm guessing there has to be something a little more palatable (maybe less unnessecary veggies?) I can try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winnielouise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I'll definitely be making an order, but any suggestions on which protein to try first?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd consider ordering some chicken AND some lamb! There are a few cats that don't like the lamb, but because of it's higher fat content, most love it!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would order all three :clap::clap::clap:
The lamb is the one most cats like the best.... but also the one I would intro the last - it is a heavier meat, and some cats can have a hard time in the beginning. I would intro chicken and turkey first, then lamb.
But since they have only 3 proteins in their menu, I would definitely keep all three in rotation.

2 of my cats had lamb as their very favorite. 1 of them could not eat it - BUT this one, Lucky has problems with a lot of things - beef, lamb, bones, pork (if given 100% pure....) so she is not the regular cat out there. Some cats have a harder time handling red, fattier meats......

Oh, btw, make sure to put them in a probiotic right away.... I give this one to mine: Natural Factors Probiotic

Last edited:

numystic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Am I getting the math right on this...

Feeding 100% Rad Cat would cost $4 per cat per day? (24 oz @ $14 / 7 oz per day for each cat)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I getting the math right on this...

Feeding 100% Rad Cat would cost $4 per cat per day? (24 oz @ $14 / 7 oz per day for each cat)
rad cat is expensive, however you will not feed 7oz. Not even my 17.5lbs eats that. All of mine eat 4.5 oz a day. Rad Cat's feeding recommendation are way too much.

numystic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Carolina, that's certainly a bit more reasonable!

And how is Rad Cat superior to Felines Pride? (which is half the price at about 5$ per lb)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check out how much Feline's Pride costs after shipping. :nod: Rad Cat, for some people, is available locally. For others, it has to be ordered at http://www.onlynaturalpet.com, but shipping doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The shipping cost for Feline's Pride is insane, and I think raises the cost of feeding Feline's Pride above that of Rad Cat (shipping included).

I don't remember the ingredient list off-hand, but Feline's Pride uses ground bone. Some kitties have trouble digesting the bone, even though ground. Rad Cat uses human grade bone meal, which is easier on some kitty's tummies.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out how much Feline's Pride costs after shipping. :nod: Rad Cat, for some people, is available locally. For others, it has to be ordered at http://www.onlynaturalpet.com, but shipping doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The shipping cost for Feline's Pride is insane, and I think raises the cost of feeding Feline's Pride above that of Rad Cat (shipping included).
I don't remember the ingredient list off-hand, but Feline's Pride uses ground bone. Some kitties have trouble digesting the bone, even though ground. Rad Cat uses human grade bone meal, which is easier on some kitty's tummies.
:yeah:
Feline's Pride is not anywhere cheaper than Rad Cat.
First of, the price they put on the site, unfortunately, is not the price that show on the cart.
Second, The shipping is outrageous. Try to buy Rad Cat,then try to buy Feline's Pride and you will see which one is cheaper. :nod:

numystic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for pointing out the bone source difference. As you can tell I'm new to all this.

That said, I'm guessing my either my math is way off or I'm missing something...

I just went to Feline's Pride and made it all the way to the payment screen where I can have 10 pounds of Chicken Formula shipped for $50.90. So that's $12 over the $3.79 per pound I saw on the item page. How is that "insane" for shipping 10 pounds of food?

So Feline's Pride is $5 per pound shipped then.

Rad Cat is $8.66 a pound when buying the largest size available? And that is without shipping! How is that even remotely close in price?

Clearly I'm missing something, so please help me understand because right now I'm baffled! :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for pointing out the bone source difference. As you can tell I'm new to all this.

That said, I'm guessing my either my math is way off or I'm missing something...

I just went to Feline's Pride and made it all the way to the payment screen where I can have 10 pounds of Chicken Formula shipped for $50.90. So that's $12 over the $3.79 per pound I saw on the item page. How is that "insane" for shipping 10 pounds of food?

So Feline's Pride is $5 per pound shipped then.

Rad Cat is $8.66 a pound when buying the largest size available? And that is without shipping! How is that even remotely close in price?

Clearly I'm missing something, so please help me understand because right now I'm baffled! :)
I have no clue how you achieved this feat! When I tried to buy Feline's pride, not only the price was wrong, but shipping ALONE was $48 - for 12lbs of food. So...... clearly, I passed.
Feline's pride is good food..... If you want to buy and it is that much cheaper for you, then go for it.....

Last edited:

numystic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay still trying to wrap my head around this and self-correct, because what I'm seeing is so far from what you all seem to suggest that I'm basically waiting for a reply to come back showing me that I overlooked something completely obvious.

And I did. :) That $50.90 didn't include shipping, only the freezer packaging. 

But I'm still as baffled as ever. 

So, shipping for the 10 pounds from Feline's Pride is $25.68 for USPS priority bringing the grand total to $75.68 

So $7.56 per pound for Feline's Pride shipping included.

Went to OnlyNaturalPet.com and ordered 6 x 24 oz to get as close to 10 pounds as possible and 3 day delivery is $40 PLUS a $9.95 frozen surcharge! 

So Rad Cat comes to $136.52 for only 9 pounds shipped! 

That's $15 per pound shipped… 2x the price of Feline's Pride shipped.

Even if I can find Rad Cat locally, at $8.66 per pound it's still more than having Feline's Pride delivered to my doorstep! 

Please help me see if I'm still overlooking something obvious here. 

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the Feline Pride web site and selected 10 lbs of chicken and USPS delivery. Total with shipping to Houston : $50.90 + 46.16 (shipping) = $97.06. ($9.71 / lb)

At OnlyNaturalPet I selected 6 x 24 oz of Rad Cat chicken and 2 day delivery. Total : $86.94 + 40.06 (shipping) + 9.95 (frozen food charge) = $136.92 ($15.21 / lb)

Looks like the Feline Pride is quite a bit cheaper. That was the first premade raw I used and all my kitties loved it!

I think OnlyNaturalPet offers free shipping if your order is over some amount? Maybe that is the difference. But is that for 2 day shipping?

Edit : I just looked and their free shipping is ground shipping, up to 7 days for delivery.

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You  might also look into Darwin's Natural:

http://www.darwinspet.com/our-cat-food/

They have a great intro offer of 10 lbs for $14.95 including shipping. They require you sign up for auto deliveries but you can cancel that at any time. After that intro offer 20 lbs of a mix of chicken and turkey is $110.30 for 20 lbs or $5.52/lb including shipping. I don't think that is 2 day shipping though. I ordered some from them when the weather wasn't hot and it arrived frozen but I don't remember how long it took. You might need to call and ask them about shipping. It's a nice food and comes in convenient, easy to store 8 oz packages.  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you live considerably closer to Feline's Pride than the other posters who have attempted to buy it, that could account for the price difference. If it's in your price range, go for it!

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you live considerably closer to Feline's Pride than the other posters who have attempted to buy it, that could account for the price difference. If it's in your price range, go for it!
Carolina is in Dallas and I'm in Houston, so it isn't just a location difference. Distance to ship certainly does make a difference in some  cases though.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a way to get cheaper shipping from onlynaturalpets, best person to ask is Lauren, Feralvr..... She knows how.

numystic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a way to get cheaper shipping from onlynaturalpets, best person to ask is Lauren, Feralvr..... She knows how.
Forgive my newbieness Carolina… do you mean someone here at the forums with the user name Feralvr, or is this someone I should ask for when contacting OnlyNaturalPets?

If the pricing I worked out is in fact accurate though, the answer may not matter since it SEEMS like I can get the Feline's Pride to my door even cheaper than the Rad Cat before shipping.

Just noticed your many helpful posts in the other "Questions about Commercial Raw" thread. Are you still just as keen on Hare Today's offerings?

How was Darwin's Pet? Obviously the $15 for 10 lbs trial is very attractive!

Finally, I saw your mention of HPP as a safety measure by Primal Pet Foods. Would love to know your thoughts now about that as it relates to your other favorite companies.