m3llow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Both look as if they are suffering from an URI, the orange one appears to be worse than the other. Are you prepared to deal with possible medical issues?

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they are both pretty cute .   I don't know which one I would choose , maybe the orange .

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know...they both look sick, to me. Fur is kind of scruffy. Poor kitties, Id want to rescue them both.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, they both look sickly and their fur looks wiry and unkempt. I would be VERY wary of trusting a breeder I can only communicate with online, whose cats I couldn't meet and whose home I couldn't visit, much less one that shows me cats in this condition. If the breeder is adopting these cats out to homes that could provide the health care they need vs turning a profit, go with your gut. Their personalities are a bit of a crapshoot if you can't meet them and see if there's any chemistry with one over the other, so it's hard to say - they would both be stunning when cleaned up and treated.

If you're not prepared for dealing with the health issues, perhaps visiting a rescue or shelter or a local breeder where you can meet the cat beforehand and be assured (with paperwork as well) that they are healthy would be a better route.

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get their medical records from their vet and CONFIRM this vet??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m3llow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, been offline all day. My gut says to rescue them both. However, even though I am indeed prepared finically for the sick kitties I feel as though I should choose a local breeder. There is one I know personally, I don't like her prices like at all. But, I want a good breeder. Thanks for the opinions. I appreciate it. :) 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you looking for a pedigree Persian as a pet or are you intending to rescue these cats from a bad breeder?

They both look sick and their fur is unkempt. If you are going to rescue them, thank you so much. They look like they really need your help. I wouldn't pay any money for them though, if you're looking for a pedigree then choose another breeder.

No reputable breeder would let their cats get into such a bad condition and then try to sell them.

eleanora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree they do look in poor health.Poor little mites.And no reputable breeder would offer a kitten up for sale knowing it is in poor condition. You could be in for a lot of heartbreak.If I were in your shoes,I would tell the breeder you are concerned that the kittens don't look very healthy and that you will only hand over money once you have proof of veterinary checks etc
Alternatively - forget they're pedigree status and simply 'rescue' them but for a largely reduced price.You may need the money for expensive veterinary treatment.If the breeder turns you down, I would walk away and report him or her to the RSPCA or your equivalent in the States. Good Luck and I hope it all works out.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Putting the heart tugging aspect aside (I too want to rescue them) - I would suggest walking away. NO self respecting breeder would send photos of such unkempt kittens to a potential owner. They look ill, poorly groomed and underfed. They quite possibly, could give you nothing but heart break and cost thousands of dollars. You know if the kittens are offered in this condition that the parents did not have the proper care either. Also has she offered any documentation that a DNA PKD test was done on both parents and is negative? Do not just accept her word for it - ask for copies. PKD is a terrible, PAINFUL problem that reputable breeders are trying to eradicate from the Persian breed. When I first started in Persians (Color points) I bought a girl who turned out to be positive for PKD - I don't wish that on anyone. That was before the DNA test was available. Now all of my foundation cats were tested and found negative.
Go for it if you are prepared for the possible poor outcome. The more expensive breeder that is close to you may have higher prices because of the care of her cats - did you ever think about that? Rarely does a breeder even break even when selling kittens. Most do it for the love of the breed and to try to improve the breed, not the money. I can honestly say that in my 10 years of breeding I NEVER made a profit! It wasn't a business for me - just a hobby that gave and still gives me immense pleasure.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what the laws are where you live, or where that breeder is but gosh, those are two very sick looking kittens.  Their expressions are so depressing.  The breeder needs to be reported - to somewhere :(

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KkķXI'm afraid the last cat I'd ever get would be a persian. This is a cat I find most ugly.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had an Exotic, shorthair Persian about 20 years ago. That was before the breeders decided to start inverting their little noses into oblivion! He was orange, and had the most loving and devoted personality!  You might look into that type of Persian. A lot less work having the shorter, but very plush coat. Those little kitties look kind of sick. What kind of breeder would send that kind of photos? Should be a warning!  There are a lot of purebred rescue places, and shelters, SPCA that get purebreds all the time. Have you researched your area. Also, I  don't know why, but I sure see a lot of Ragdoll rescue places online, but I don't know why?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KkķXI'm afraid the last cat I'd ever get would be a persian. This is a cat I find most ugly.
That is why there are so many different breeds - not all fit every persons taste. The personality of the Persian suits me - laid back and not demanding.

I had an Exotic, shorthair Persian about 20 years ago. That was before the breeders decided to start inverting their little noses into oblivion! He was orange, and had the most loving and devoted personality!  You might look into that type of Persian. A lot less work having the shorter, but very plush coat. Those little kitties look kind of sick. What kind of breeder would send that kind of photos? Should be a warning!  There are a lot of purebred rescue places, and shelters, SPCA that get purebreds all the time. Have you researched your area. Also, I  don't know why, but I sure see a lot of Ragdoll rescue places online, but I don't know why?
The standard for the Persian and the Exotic is pretty much the same except for the coat length. No where in it does it say that the nose has to be inverted (that just seems to be the current trend with some breeders, unfortunately). The breed standard says the nose should be short, snub and broad with the break centered between (NOTE- not above) the eyes. I have been taught that the top pf the nose should be level with the bottom of the eyes.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is why there are so many different breeds - not all fit every persons taste. The personality of the Persian suits me - laid back and not demanding

The standard for the Persian and the Exotic is pretty much the same except for the coat length. No where in it does it say that the nose has to be inverted (that just seems to be the current trend with some breeders, unfortunately). The breed standard says the nose should be short, snub and broad with the break centered between (NOTE- not above) the eyes. I have been taught that the top pf the nose should be level with the bottom of the eyes.
I'm afraid I've never

It's the flat face I don't like. Like the pekinese. And all that fur. No. The persian is not for me. But it's one man's meat is another man's poison.

eleanora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid I've never

It's the flat face I don't like. Like the pekinese. And all that fur. No. The persian is not for me. But it's one man's meat is another man's poison.
I'm with you on that one Stewball. My Nora the BS I adopted from a breeder last year has a slightly flat face which is the norm for that breed.I love her dearly she is soo laid back but I still call her "Mardybum"[emoji]128532[/emoji] or "Miseryguts" (in an affectionate way of course)because her face always looks slightly annoyed.Also - I really love to see the feline frame, the bone and muscle structure, that sleek elegant cat look. Which is hidden of course under lots of fur. But hey- what a boring life if eeveryone's tastes were the same.I guess the sharp features and penetrative eyes and super slim body of the Orientals aren't everyone's cup of tea either.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you on that one Stewball. My Nora the BS I adopted from a breeder last year has a slightly flat face which is the norm for that breed.I love her dearly she is soo laid back but I still call her "Mardybum"[emoji]128532[/emoji] or "Miseryguts" (in an affectionate way of course)because her face always looks slightly annoyed.Also - I really love to see the feline frame, the bone and muscle structure, that sleek elegant cat look. Which is hidden of course under lots of fur. But hey- what a boring life if eeveryone's tastes were the same.I guess the sharp features and penetrative eyes and super slim body of the Orientals aren't everyone's cup of tea either.
whisky is very slim and light and athletic. I so much prefer the old fashioned siamese.
Blighty was tiny when he came. Now he's enormous and solid and soooo heavy when I manage to pick him up.
Nobody looks more grumpy than Grumpy.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I never used to be that enamoured with Persians. Or any other pedigree for that matter, when there are all these feral cats around that need looking after. Ever since I found Forest I've become a fan. he is so laid back and undemanding, he's the only one of my cats that doesn't follow me around yelling when they want something. I don't know if this is typical of the breed but apart from purring he never makes a sound. He doesn't look grumpy, he has a slightly bewildered look to him which I find so sweet.

I love sleek, elegant cats too, but there is something endearing about a huge pile of fluff trotting around on little paws.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I never used to be that enamoured with Persians. Or any other pedigree for that matter, when there are all these feral cats around that need looking after. Ever since I found Forest I've become a fan. he is so laid back and undemanding, he's the only one of my cats that doesn't follow me around yelling when they want something. I don't know if this is typical of the breed but apart from purring he never makes a sound. He doesn't look grumpy, he has a slightly bewildered look to him which I find so sweet.

I love sleek, elegant cats too, but there is something endearing about a huge pile of fluff trotting around on little paws.
I love the big, round eyes. The "baby" face. Mine are doll faced which I prefer over the flat faced. The girls are so different personality wise. They are both fairly laid back and usually not demanding but the have their moments and both are major divas. Especially Lilith. When something is not up to her standards, he prances off in a huff with her fluffed up behind her to make as dramatic an exit as possible. She is also VERY vocal and will go around the house making all kinds of noises from trills to chirps to what sounds like talking. I swear sometimes she sound just like a 2 year old girl. Sophie on the other hand rarely makes any noise. She's more forthcoming when she wants something. She's the one who wakes me up when they want their breakfast. She'll tap me with her paw until I get up. She's also more reluctant to break out the claws than her sister is.

Henry is a DSH and he's long and lean compared to their petite little frames. Lilith is about 5 pounds, Sophie about 5.5 and Henry clocks in at about 10. He looks like a mini panther.

Regarding the 2 persians the OPis referring to. I agree that they look sick and unhappy. These look like cats that have been rescued from a BYB or other less than happy scenario. They don't look like they are from someone who cares about his/ her animals and/or reputation as a breeder. I'd take one or both of them if this was from a rescue scenario but to purchase them at breeder prices? No way. I feel bad for them though. I can see why you'd want to get them the heck out of there.