Which OTC flea topical?

MorningForest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a topical flea control for my 3 cats (all 8+ years and over 9lbs). I take them outside on a harness on occasion, but are otherwise indoor only. I've tried looking between advantage 2 and frontline (which I heard doesn't work), and just realized petarmor is another option. Not sure what other options there are. I've always used Revolution so I'm not familiar with otc options.

In regards to revolution, I do plan to get them vetted and get more, but right now I'm short on funds and just trying to find something to last until then. The condominium that I live in does have some outdoor cats, so I do want to use something as a precaution, even though they don't go out often. Plus the house is covered in carpet that I plan to replace with solid floor around next year. I dont have fleas now, but I'd like to avoid the nightmare of battling an infestation.

Many thanks!

Note, I live in Georgia, USA. Mosquitoes are definitely an issue and I am worried about heartworm and other stuff. Fairly certain only prescription covers those though. I'd prefer to avoid collars and stay with topical if at all possible.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pet Armor is the same as Frontline - Fipronil is the main ingredient. Both only kill fleas, ticks and lice. Frontline Plus and Pet Armor Plus are also the same, the only thing they both have that the non-plus ones don't have is Methoprene, which kills flea eggs and larvae too. Advantage II contains Imidacloprid and Pyriproxifen, the latter ingredient being the one that kills flea eggs and larvae.

And, yes, you are right the topicals that impact other parasites are prescription.