Which One Is A Real Persian?

pekpek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I'm so glad I found this site as I have been wanting to know which of the following is a real Persian kitten before I buy:

Please advise which one should I get. I like the smoke color but I'm having doubts whether it's a real Persian. Thanks a Lot!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do NOT take my advice ONLY, wait for a member called Wellingtoncats - she is a persian breeder here... you can also PM here...

I do not think the first one is a Purebred Persian... Even though it is a very cute kitten, I think that is a mixed kitten... It looks like a DLH.

The ones in the bottom look like real Persians.

Do you know anything about the breeders? Are they TICA, CFA registered? Are they giving you the papers? I the price in line with the price of purebred cats out there, or are you trying to save $$$? How/ where did you find them?
Cattery?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sam/Wellington can help you like Carolina said.
Also my friend Gary breeds smoke and silver Persians.
I can send you his info and he can hook you up with a good breeder.
He is one of people that stated the smokes and the silvers.

scatt cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first kitten looks like a mixed breed kitten, being sold as a persian to rake in some cash. I'm not for sure, but it's very possible.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The little gray one looks like a cross-breed to my relatively untrained eyes. Can't tell with the tiny babies, but they don't look like WellingtonCats' pics of her babies... she breeds Persians and Exotic shorthairs.

I just keyed in the breeders webpage which is a Craiglist or Kijiji type site in the Phillipines. He/She is claiming the little white kittens are purebreed "dollface" Persians. Hmmmm......

Wasn't there a debate on this sub forum a while about about "dollface" Persians?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They both could be purebred Persians; however the Blue Tabby one is either a very poor pet quality Persian or a Persian mix. The first one could also be a backyard breeder version of the so called "doll-face" (which I hate using that name) Persian - where the person breeds outside the written standard only for profit. These kittens cost as much as a legit breeder but usually don't come with any health guarantee, not neutered/spayed and the parents are not tested (especially for PKD).

In the other photo, those are higher quality Persians but still are more pet quality kittens as the nose is longer then it should be. The one in the middle looking at you will end up looking more like the Blue Tabby. The sleeping ones besides the middle one are closer to the standard and would be higher quality then the pet one in the middle.

I would really look over all the breeder's cats/kittens before giving them money. If you have the website or the breeder's cattery name, you can pm me and I'll let you know if its a backyard breeder or a legit breeder.

I show cats and know how to tell good from bad.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You also referred to the first kitten as "smoke" colored. GoldenKitty called it a Blue Tabby. I would agree with THAT assessment. It's essentially gray.

This is the "sales" site for the little mostly white kittens:
http://drhako.sulit.com.ph/

The stud - white male - does not look like a show quality Persian in my limited experience. Though he is a beautiful cat. What does everyone else think. My gut sense is this is a backyard breeder making money of his/her pretty white cat. What cat was he bred to to make the babies? Etc.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two registered doll-face persians. You can see them on my profile. They came with papers from the breeder. I have no clue about any of those kittens being purebred but the white ones have some resemblance in their facial bone structure to my cats.

Nevertheless, that blue tabby looks like a sweetheart. Adorable! I'd adopt him anytime!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

This is the "sales" site for the little mostly white kittens:
http://drhako.sulit.com.ph/

The stud - white male - does not look like a show quality Persian in my limited experience. Though he is a beautiful cat. What does everyone else think. My gut sense is this is a backyard breeder making money of his/her pretty white cat. What cat was he bred to to make the babies? Etc.
The add says they are 'dollfaces' so I would definitely skip that one, and the male doesn't look at all like a Persian, and looks like a cameo, not white (i hate my monitor)? The price is also telling a lot... Do not buy!
I must be having a deja vu, I feel like I've seen those kitten pics several months ago somewhere..

I don't think the blue kittens look like persian either.

*eda* Smoke is a cat with silver undercoat, tips of the hair can be any color. Most common are black smokes. Smokes are not gray (and there is no such thing as a gray cat anyway..)

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't really look like Persians to me - if they are then they are very poor examples, in my opinion. You might as well just get a Domestic Longhair if that's the look you're after. The top one isn't a smoke either like the others have also pointed out. Even my pet quality kittens don't have noses that long.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given the additional link from AddieBee I would NOT spend my money on any of this person's cats. They are all pet quality cats and are not worth the high price he's charging (whatever). Just looking at the other ads and some things on there...........so many RED flags its not funny. This is definately a backyard breeder.

IMO any breeder that is not breeding to the standard for whatever excuse they give (even if they have registered cats and papers), is NOT a good breeder. They are only producing pet kittens for the sake of breeding and only out to make money on their cats.

If you don't like the style of a quality purebred cat like a Persian bred to the standard, then you are better off just looking at Petfinder.com or local shelters for a Persian to adopt. You will spend a lot less money and save a kitten/cat from being put to sleep.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others.
I have seen smokes in person that my friend shows and the first kitten looks like a blue cat.
P.s. Sam I will send you pics of Garys Ultimate Persian kitten when I get some from him.
He plans on DMING her.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I agree with the others.
I have seen smokes in person that my friend shows and the first kitten looks like a blue cat.
P.s. Sam I will send you pics of Garys Ultimate Persian kitten when I get some from him.
He plans on DMING her.
That's a big ask for just a kitten
Can't wait to see the pics!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first two pics looks like my Alice. She is a rescue. She is a very pretty cat ad very sweet too. There are a lot of cats with looks like this lookig for a home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pekpek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your replies. Such friendly and helpful cat lovers in this forum!
I am from the Philippines and I'm not sure if there are a lot of catteries here, most kittens are bought from pet stores or through postings in newspaper ads and online ads (like where I found these) and they are most probably what you call "backyard breeders".

Actually, I'm not really looking for a show quality cat - just to keep as a pet to love and care for. And I happen to like the looks and personality of a persian. Reading your posts, I am now more inclined to get one of the white kittens, as they seem to look more like a persian cat. The average price of most "persian kittens" here in our country is US$130 - $180 for non-CFA registered kittens.

I will be seeing the kittens at the end of this month and decide whether to bring one home or to keep searching
. Again, thank you so much for all your thoughts - I'll be around!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pekpek

Thank you everyone for your replies. Such friendly and helpful cat lovers in this forum!
I am from the Philippines and I'm not sure if there are a lot of catteries here, most kittens are bought from pet stores or through postings in newspaper ads and online ads (like where I found these) and they are most probably what you call "backyard breeders".

Actually, I'm not really looking for a show quality cat - just to keep as a pet to love and care for. And I happen to like the looks and personality of a persian. Reading your posts, I am now more inclined to get one of the white kittens, as they seem to look more like a persian cat. The average price of most "persian kittens" here in our country is US$130 - $180 for non-CFA registered kittens.

I will be seeing the kittens at the end of this month and decide whether to bring one home or to keep searching
. Again, thank you so much for all your thoughts - I'll be around!
Hi there, just for your reference, These are real Persians - look how different they look, since very little:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210555

Good luck on your search!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to google catteries? I found CFA and TICA registered persian breeders located in Philippines when I googled 'persian cattery philippines'.. I would suggest contacting a good breeder, and even if they don't have kittens available they could tell you where to find one.

scatt cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a gorgeous gray/white kitten named Bogart who is just as pretty and sweet as any "dollface persian" would be, and he didn't cost me a penny, much less $2,000- $6,500. I'm not going to give out names, but there is one well known dollface breeder that has been selling kittens for $9,500. Scary...

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Scatt Cat

I'm not going to give out names, but there is one well known dollface breeder that has been selling kittens for $9,500. Scary...
Maybe I should start selling my BLHs as 'doll face' Persians instead..

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Scatt Cat

I have a gorgeous gray/white kitten named Bogart who is just as pretty and sweet as any "dollface persian" would be, and he didn't cost me a penny, much less $2,000- $6,500. I'm not going to give out names, but there is one well known dollface breeder that has been selling kittens for $9,500. Scary...
I have a hard time believing anyone would pay that much for a pet. Heck I wouldn't pay that much for an import.

We cannot sell Persians in our country for more then $300 NZ