Which Is The Best Or Cleanest Litter For Cats With Long Hair?

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just bought a Maine Coon kitten who’s 16 weeks old and I’m researching safe clumping litter that not only has good odor control and clumping ability but is safe and will not stick to long fur. I’ve read that World’s Best and Swheat Scoop were similar in texture and function as traditional clay litter. Which other brands work well that won’t get all caught up on the long fur or be too dusty that makes them dirty or be tracked around the house? Low tracking is necessary too. I’m currently using SoPhresh paper pellet litter but I’d like clumping litter after I go through this bag.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't have longhair cats, so I can't address that part of your question.

World's Best and Shweat Scoop are kind of similar in texture to each other, although I think the pieces of World's Best are a little larger. Neither one is similar to clumping clay litter. They both clump, but the clumps don't hold together as hard as clay litter.

Usually it's a matter of trial and error finding the best litter for your kitty. If you have room, I'd put out 3 litter boxes. One with the current litter, one with World's Best, and one with Shweat Scoop. Then keep track of which one kitty uses the most and transition to that one.

When I tried World's Best I didn't notice dust in the air. However, I did find little yellow paw prints all over the house/furniture/bedding. In addition, I had one cat who absolutely refused to set a paw in the corn litter so I ended up not using that one for very long.

Shweat Scoop didn't seem to be as dusty or track as much. Unfortunately, I had a cat who developed a severe allergy to the storage mites that got into the litter so that was the end of that one.

Pssst. We want :camera:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only litter i have found that will not cling to my long hair cats britches is crystal litter. He does not like most crystal litter, as do none of my cats, i think the large bits hurt their feet. However they do all like Dr. Elseys Respiratory relief silica gel litter. its non clumping, you scoop the poo, then stir the pee, but if you scoop often, before it totally dries you can actually scoop most of the pee. Its a very fine grain litter, like sand, and all of my cats like it. Its maybe the easiest litter i use.

Dr. elseys also has a litter for long hair cats, my guys hated it, i think because of the big size

Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Respiratory Relief Silica Gel Cat Litter, 7.5-lb bag

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Jasmine is what I would call a long-hair, but the vet calls a medium hair; that's her in my avatar. I just buy the cheapest unscented (my husband's allergic to perfumes) clumping clay litter I can find. As long as I keep the litter level high enough (at least 2 inches deep) and scoop frequently we have no trouble with odor. Also, the litter does not stick to Jasmine's pantaloons, though her poop sometimes does.

Yes, there's some dust in the air when I add fresh litter; it subsides quickly. I haven't noticed dust being tracked around the house, however. Make sure your litter boxes are large enough, and it may help to have a mat underneath to catch any litter your cat may scatter outside the box.

Margret

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had longhairs for years, but I've found that pellet-style litters are the least likely to get caught in the fur. Okocat make a wood clumping litter for long hair kitties:

You might also want to consider taking your kitten to get a sanitary clip, at least while she's younger. A vet or vet tech can do this for you, as can groomers used to working with cats as well as dogs. Basically, the fur is trimmed around the bum and back legs, just enough so that poop won't get stuck there.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should mention that it's unsafe to use clumping litters with young kittens. You need to make sure that she's past the stage where she'll try to eat anything before you go to clumping litter, and it's been so long since I was raising kittens that I have no idea what that age is.

Margret

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I should mention that it's unsafe to use clumping litters with young kittens. You need to make sure that she's past the stage where she'll try to eat anything before you go to clumping litter, and it's been so long since I was raising kittens that I have no idea what that age is.

Margret
I believe that anytime from 12 weeks its safe to use clumping litter (unless the kitten is fixated on playing with it ;) ). My guys came home at 15 weeks, if memory serves, and they were just fine with clumping litter :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty will be 4 months tomorrow. I'm using paper pellet litter right now because he was used to the Breeze system but he is going to outgrow that box very soon. I'm not sure how he'd do with clumping litter yet.

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use paper pellets (yesterday's news) and find it very low dust, low tracking, smells better than clay, doesn't attract insects/mice and grow mold like grain litters, and easy to use. I scoop the pee, even though it's non clumping. I just rake the clean pellets away from the wet spot, and scoop it out. This is easiest when it's against the side of the box, but usually it is. So my suggestion is stick with the paper.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only litter i have found that will not cling to my long hair cats britches is crystal litter. He does not like most crystal litter, as do none of my cats, i think the large bits hurt their feet. However they do all like Dr. Elseys Respiratory relief silica gel litter. its non clumping, you scoop the poo, then stir the pee, but if you scoop often, before it totally dries you can actually scoop most of the pee. Its a very fine grain litter, like sand, and all of my cats like it. Its maybe the easiest litter i use.

Dr. elseys also has a litter for long hair cats, my guys hated it, i think because of the big size

Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Respiratory Relief Silica Gel Cat Litter, 7.5-lb bag
+1

I use this same litter for my two Main Coon clowns.