Which is better, Applaws or Almo Nature Wet food?

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know they aren't complete wet foods, but I occasionally feed them to Mew since it's one of the only brands he will eat and that he enjoys. I was going to buy some on Zooplus and I noticed there about the same price. So I was wondering which one is better quality.

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a hard one. Ok, let's see:

- Applaws has 1%  rice. Some people have no problem with this, some try to stay away from all cereals.

- Almo Nature also has rice, between 1 and 3%, depending on the flavor and line.

- Applaws has less variety than Almo Nature.

- The Label line of Almo Nature is quite intriguing:

- the Green line is human grade, no additives, the RAW pouches are a hit at my house, although they are not raw raw, they are packed raw and sterilised.

- the Azul label has some vitamins added. It is still complementary, though.

- the Rouge and the Orange label annoy me - most are fish flavored, and what is not fish has apple or vegetables. They have some vitamins added, still complementary.

- both Applaws and Almo Nature have a very very dangerously amount of fat - cats need fat for energy and too little fat can cause constipation

- both Applaws and Almo Nature are on an average less that 50 calories/pouch or small can. That is fine if you have overweight cats. If you have a borderline anorexic cat, these are way too few calories.

- both have a weird Ca:p ratio, which adds to the well known warning that these foods should only be fed as a treat.

So in conclusion I find them both to be pretty much the same. However, on zooplus.ro Almo Nature is twice more expensive than Applaws. This is the only remarkable difference I found.

ETA: I have tried them all on my three cats. Two of them LOVE every flavor from both brands, the third (picky weird cat) hates fish, but loves the chicken flavors of both brands. So even my cats think they are both the same...

ETA2: I remembered about THRIVE COMPLETE while responding to your other thread. Give it a try. It is filet like Applaws and COMPLETE. Mine go crazy for it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This is a hard one. Ok, let's see:

- Applaws has 1%  rice. Some people have no problem with this, some try to stay away from all cereals.

- Almo Nature also has rice, between 1 and 3%, depending on the flavor and line.

- Applaws has less variety than Almo Nature.

- The Label line of Almo Nature is quite intriguing:

- the Green line is human grade, no additives, the RAW pouches are a hit at my house, although they are not raw raw, they are packed raw and sterilised.

- the Azul label has some vitamins added. It is still complementary, though.

- the Rouge and the Orange label annoy me - most are fish flavored, and what is not fish has apple or vegetables. They have some vitamins added, still complementary.

- both Applaws and Almo Nature have a very very dangerously amount of fat - cats need fat for energy and too little fat can cause constipation

- both Applaws and Almo Nature are on an average less that 50 calories/pouch or small can. That is fine if you have overweight cats. If you have a borderline anorexic cat, these are way too few calories.

- both have a weird Ca:p ratio, which adds to the well known warning that these foods should only be fed as a treat.

So in conclusion I find them both to be pretty much the same. However, on zooplus.ro Almo Nature is twice more expensive than Applaws. This is the only remarkable difference I found.

ETA: I have tried them all on my three cats. Two of them LOVE every flavor from both brands, the third (picky weird cat) hates fish, but loves the chicken flavors of both brands. So even my cats think they are both the same...

ETA2: I remembered about THRIVE COMPLETE while responding to your other thread. Give it a try. It is filet like Applaws and COMPLETE. Mine go crazy for it.
I knew that Applaws and Almo Nature are not the best foods since they are not complete, but I didn't realize they could be dangerous. That is pretty scary. But I only feed them to Mew every other day sometimes so I'm sure it isn't too bad. But then again he doesn't eat the food I give him barely and he only really eats the Applaws or Almo Nature, so it could be bad. It's strange that the RO Zooplus has Almos Nature so much more expensive than Applaws. I checked the UK and Netherlands Zooplus for Thrive. It sucks because the UK Zooplus has more Thrive flavors and cheaper than the Dutch Zooplus. Too bad I couldn't order from the UK Zooplus, it would be cheaper. But I think we will give Thrive a shot since we dont have nothing to lose :)

Last edited:

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We placed our order for the Thrive Chicken mixed package so it should be here in a few days :)!! My husband was a little reluctant to try Thrive since we've already bought so many brands and they've all been rejected horribly. I understand his frustration and I really hope Thrive will be the last brand we will need to try. I've heard really good things about it, so I have a lot of hope especially since it's shredded. I'm so excited to see how Mew reacts to it and I really hope he loves it. Thank you again for the recommendation IrinaSaK.

Last edited:

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand the frustration - this is how I know every brand zooplus carries, because I tried every single one for my complicated cat Sophie.

Hope Mew likes Thrive.

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand the frustration - this is how I know every brand zooplus carries, because I tried every single one for my complicated cat Sophie.

Hope Mew likes Thrive.
It's nice to know someone else understands that it can be a little frustrating with a picky and complicated cat. I can't believe you've tried every Zooplus brand! But yeah you're always helping me on every post I make about the different foods. Zooplus really does have a nice selection of brands to pick from, but I also wish they could get more new brands as well. I can't wait to try the Thrive! Thank you so much for your help :)