Which Health Test Should Be Done By The Breeder For Ragdoll Cat?

attica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd like to know which health tests should be run by the breeder for a ragdoll kittn before I buy it, and also if there's any way to verify that they truly have run those tests. Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm not an expert in this but you should be able to request documentation, if they don't in fact provide it up front, I think.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and Mucopolysaccharidosis are two tests that I found for Ragdolls on UC Davis. However I am not overly familiar with the breed or their health issues so they may be known to have other problems as well.

You can ask for documentation of proof that the tests were done, I have them saved in my email to forward them to any one that asks. The documentation has all my personal info as well as the info of the cat that was tested and then information about what each result means.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also do an internet search for state regulations on breeders within your state - assuming you are in the US. Some of them, I don't know about all, do have listed requirements for testing, documentation, etc.
Generally, these types of regulations primarily apply to large commercial breeders... many of which are basically kitten mills. Small hobby breeders that raise kittens as part of the family are usually not regulated by state agencies.