Which Food Helped Your Kitten's Diarrhea?

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I've spent a lot of time surfing forums about kitten diarrhea - it comes up alot. I'll go into the specifics of my kittens below, but I wanted to throw out this question because it would be great to compile success stories all in one place.

Kittens can have diarrhea for a host of reasons: parasite infection, deworming, coccidea, IBS, giardia, or just a food change among other things. All kittens with diarrhea should be checked over by a vet and all kittens should be dewormed - this questions is for those of us whose kittens have had several trips to the vet, many rounds of meds and see very little effect on our kittens' stools.

So to those of you who cured your kitten's diarrhea that was not apparently due to an infection/sickness that should be treated with a medication - what did you do?!

I've heard probiotics, canned pumpkin, mild foods (like boiled chicken), but I've also seen people have success with changing to a specific food. Would love to hear those success stories!

--------
My specific case: my two 10-week old kittens have had diarrhea for 3 straight weeks now, with varying degrees of severity. Sometimes "cow-pie consistency" sometimes more firm, but never normal. They likely had roundworms and have been dewormed twice, treated for tapeworms, and also given albon to treat coccidea. They have also been receiving a probiotic since they were 7 weeks old.
I just took them to the vet again and she said she wanted to try to clear up the diarrhea without any more medication because she believes kittens that were bottle-fed have sensitive GI tracts. She gave me Hill's W/D canned food and told me to feed them only that until the diarrhea clears up. She also gave me FortiFlora to try. I am pretty loathe to feed them a food that is so low in fat and protein, but I am sort of desperate and willing to try it until the amount they gave me ran out. Will pick up some canned pumpkin asap and I think I will switch to Instinct canned kitten food when they are done with the Hill's.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are already going to do what I was going to suggest...canned pumpkin. Let me know how that works.

Your vet may be right about sensitive GI tracts. At least in a good many cases.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the canned pumpkin doesn't work out for your kittens for whatever reason, maybe you could try some baby food sweet potatoes. When one of our cats has had an upset tummy, we've had better luck with the Beechnut Naturals Just Sweet Potatoes (which doesn't contain any added water), or their Classic Stage 2 version if I have to feed it to them via a syringe.

Good luck, and I hope your fur babies are better soon! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten didn't have full blown diarrhea but very soft stools. I noticed that his stools got softer when I fed him foods higher in protein. He seems to do well if the protein amount is between 30-40 but no higher. I also noticed that a lot of the dry high quality/grain free foods like Acana, Merrick, etc. made his poops really stinky and soft and he wasn't absorbing a lot of the nutrients. I also tried grain foods (veternarian brand Royal Canin) but he didn't really like them and he was constipated on the grain dry Royal Canin.

He's been doing well now on an all wet diet that is mostly meat-based protein and fat. The specific brand I feed is Rawz turkey and chicken flavours which are 96% meat. It is higher in fat than protein, but I think it works for my kitten because the high protein canned food seemed to give him soft smelly stools. I am also giving him a bit of Nature's Variety canned food which is also 95% meat.

Oh and he also gets a prebiotic/probiotic/enzyme mix once a day.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had to go with a Rx food for my guy. He also gets a mix of pumpkin, grain-free canned, and Science Diet i/d. For dry, we feed a mix of Taste of the Wild and Rx Royal Canin Gastrointestinal HE.

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I fed my kittens Merrick Grain-free Kitten food and pumpkin with their wet Fancy Feast food, and their diarrhea cleared up pretty quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you all for your replies. It sounds like every kitty is different, and I'll have to see what works for mine but it's nice to start with some things that have worked for other people instead of from scratch. I will (hopefully) update with what eventually cures it for my kittens!

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Success! My kittens’ diarrhea has *mostly* cleared up on the w/d food with canned pumpkin and FortiFlora. Poops are now quite solid and they no longer get it all over their paws. Still a little softer and stinkier than I would like, though.
I am nervously about to transition them from the Hill’s w/d food to a grain free kitten canned food and we shall see how it goes. I’m taking it extremely slowly.

How long should I continue to mix pumpkin into their food? I don’t really mind, but I figure I should stop eventually.

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So glad it worked! I remember my kitties kept getting poop all over their paws when they had that issue. I think Salt was starting to get used to being thrown into the tub and given a quick foot shampoo when his problem was solved! When my kittens' stools firmed up, I kept them on the pumpkin for a couple days, then fed it just with one meal, so about a week after they recovered, I stopped feeding it. But I'd keep giving it as long as their poops aren't completely perfect. I'm relatively new to cats though, so I'll let some others weigh in :)

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Artistwolf Artistwolf my kittens look very similar to your kittens!!! Maybe it’s a tuxedo kitten problem haha

I’ve heard other people say Merricks helped their kitties too so once I transition to a good wet food I will probably try that out too. They’re on Instinct right now. I don’t see the pumpkin hurting anything so I’ll just keep mixing it in until they are 100%

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hahaha maybe! That's hilarious. Is the kitten on your profile picture one of them? He's super adorable!

I just looked for one with the lowest amount of carbs and highest amount of protein, and then chose the most economical food available at Petco from there, lol. But it dies seem to be working for my kitties! Although Salt is pretty gassy and I'm not sure what's causing that, so be forewarned if it's the Merrick! Haha. I think Instinct is a pretty good brand though? For canned, my guys just get whatever's on sale at the time.

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Artistwolf Artistwolf yes! My profile is Terrence when he was still a tiny thing. They’ve doubled in weight since then.
Instinct is supposed to be a pretty good food, but they’ve been on it for awhile and I’m wondering if it’s just not agreeing with them. I’ll keel it for later when their tummies are more formidable