Which Clumping Litter Is The Least Dusty?

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Due to the possibility of my cat having asthma, I switched my cat’s Dr. Elsey’s litter (blue bag) to Natural Fresh multi cat walnut clumping litter. While it works as far as clumping, I find it to be dustier than the the Dr. Elsey. The brownish dust gets everywhere and stains my carpet too. He’s black and comes out of the box with rusty colored paws. I don’t see how this is healthier in the long run. I’ve noticed Dr. Elsey has been a little dustier than it used to be too.

Which unscented clumping litter have you found to be the least dusty? Is all clay litter bad for cat’s with asthma?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I used to use Dr. Elsey’s. (Well, the cats did. :)) Most bags were pretty low dust, but I did occasionally get a dustier-than-usual bag. I switched to Smart Cat clumping grass litter for three reasons.
  • Lily and Iris were scratching a lot and I thought they might be reacting to the dust in the clumping clay.
  • I wanted something more earth friendly rather than something strip mined that doesn’t break down in landfills.
  • And I wanted something lighter in weight. My back just can’t take 40-lb. bags any more.
It turns out that they weren’t allergic to the clay litter—they still scratch. But I do like the Smart Cat even though the two long-haired cats track it quite bit. It’s so lightweight that it gets caught in the long tufts between their toes. It’s not much of an issue with the short-haired girl. And I haven’t found Smart Cat to be very dusty.

I also tried Okocat clumping wood litter. It worked well but is just a bit dustier, the super soft clumping variety in the reddish colored box. They make two or three other varieties that might be less dusty.

Last edited:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Smart Cat is the least dusty litter I have found. It tracks a lot though.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wood pellets don't clump but aren't very dusty unless you don't dump and replace after 2-3 days or so. Wood pellets are a lot like yesterdays news at a fraction of the cost.
The un medicated chick crumbles (hatchling feed) and baking soda mixture has been beneficial for our little tribe when they need a clumping litter. Very little dust and no odor (and pretty darned inexpensive).

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
The un medicated chick crumbles (hatchling feed) and baking soda mixture has been beneficial for our little tribe when they need a clumping litter. Very little dust and no odor (and pretty darned inexpensive).
~ I have not heard of this. Where do you purchase it ? Can it be mixed with regular clay clumping litter ?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have not heard of this. Where do you purchase it ? Can it be mixed with regular clay clumping litter ?
If you search the site for chicken crumbles, you'll find a lot of info.
Only downside is some cats like to eat it (it's food, just not for cats) but a baking soda mixture stops it. Mixing it with clumping litter could work but I wouldn't do this until you're absolutely sure it won't turn into an all you can eat buffet :thumbsup:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might also note that you may need to completely change the litter frequently to avoid mold growth - anything corn based can have that issue.

I found that mixing the clumping clay litter with Littermaid Walnut works really well - the walnut absorbs the dust :)

Last edited:

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I'm not the only one that did not like the Blue Buffalo Walnut litter. My old man Oscar was a black cat and would come out of the litter box brown. And I found it to be so much more dustier!

Right now, my current cats are on a mix of CatSens (clay) and Smart Cat! I absolutely LOVE Smart Cat, but my cats not so much. That's why I am slowly mixing both clay and the SC. I'm hoping to transition them completely to SC soon. But even just having 1/4 of the litter SC, I've found it to be so much less dusty. Does it track more? Heck ya it does! But vacuums and brooms were invented for something :p

vervainandrue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too find Dr. Elsey's to be very dusty. I highly recommend Arm&Hammer Clump 'N Seal. I foster and have used several different brands of litter that were donated, and I think the Clump 'N Seal is the best (whereas the Arm and Hammer in the yellow box is one of the worst for odor control).

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Due to the possibility of my cat having asthma, I switched my cat’s Dr. Elsey’s litter (blue bag) to Natural Fresh multi cat walnut clumping litter. While it works as far as clumping, I find it to be dustier than the the Dr. Elsey. The brownish dust gets everywhere and stains my carpet too. He’s black and comes out of the box with rusty colored paws. I don’t see how this is healthier in the long run. I’ve noticed Dr. Elsey has been a little dustier than it used to be too.

Which unscented clumping litter have you found to be the least dusty? Is all clay litter bad for cat’s with asthma?
I use Dr.elseys R/R Respiratory Relief Clumping Litter.And its like 99.9% dust free.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I too find Dr. Elsey's to be very dusty. I highly recommend Arm&Hammer Clump 'N Seal. I foster and have used several different brands of litter that were donated, and I think the Clump 'N Seal is the best (whereas the Arm and Hammer in the yellow box is one of the worst for odor control).
The Dr.Elseys R/R RESPIRATORY RELIEF Clumping litter is what I use.