Which cat food?

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi so I had another cat Who I had fed friskies wet and dry food for 9 years and I didn't know anything about additives in it that people claimed we're bad. He was killed by a car not the food but he did throw up often. At one point it was so bad he wasn't holding anything down. we took him to the vet and they gave him shots and said his liver and heart were really bad but they gave him antibiotics and he lived another 5 years after that still throwing up some but keeping a regular weight. I've had a new cat now for 2 years and I've been feeding him the same. Hes thrown up probably 10 times that I've noticed but it's only little bit of water not big chunks like my other cat. I also give him a few temptations cat treats from time to time which he loves. I just tried subscribing to smalls cat food for a free sample pack but I don't think I can afford to make that his main diet. So far he wouldn't try it until I sprinkled temptations on it and now he's eating it. I also ordered a bag of Purina plus dry food which I will probably replace friskies with and Purina plus wet food which is on the way. Also kind of expensive but might go with Purina. Maybe smalls occasionally in small amounts of I feel like spending $120 on a month supply

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi so I had another cat Who I had fed friskies wet and dry food for 9 years and I didn't know anything about additives in it that people claimed we're bad. He was killed by a car not the food but he did throw up often. At one point it was so bad he wasn't holding anything down. we took him to the vet and they gave him shots and said his liver and heart were really bad but they gave him antibiotics and he lived another 5 years after that still throwing up some but keeping a regular weight. I've had a new cat now for 2 years and I've been feeding him the same. Hes thrown up probably 10 times that I've noticed but it's only little bit of water not big chunks like my other cat. I also give him a few temptations cat treats from time to time which he loves. I just tried subscribing to smalls cat food for a free sample pack but I don't think I can afford to make that his main diet. So far he wouldn't try it until I sprinkled temptations on it and now he's eating it. I also ordered a bag of Purina plus dry food which I will probably replace friskies with and Purina plus wet food which is on the way. Also kind of expensive but might go with Purina. Maybe smalls occasionally in small amounts of I feel like spending $120 on a month supply
Oh I forgot to ask what cat foods other people recommend that are most affordable. I don't want to bankrupt myself. I was spending 13 cents an ounce on friskies and Purina is around 40 cents an ounce

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you know for sure the food was the cause,buying purina wet is ok. Better than dry. Not all cats have trouble with additives. Email companies to see if they will mail samples. I buy expensive and not expensive. A different protein every day

Last edited:

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unless you know for sure the food was the cause,buying purina wet is ok. Better than dry. Not all cats have trouble with additives. Email companies to see if they will email samples. I buy expensive and not expensive. A different protein every day
That's what I plan on doing. So far he doesn't like smalls to much. He was eager at first and started eating but I also added a few of the free treats they sent. Shameless pets catnip and chill. I think it ruined his appetite for the day. I just went crazy buying him new toys and a water fountain and adjustable anti puke steel food bowls.

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I plan on doing. So far he doesn't like smalls to much. He was eager at first and started eating but I also added a few of the free treats they sent. Shameless pets catnip and chill. I think it ruined his appetite for the day. I just went crazy buying him new toys and a water fountain and adjustable anti puke steel food bowls.
I want to mix his food up a little bit but I was wondering if people think friskies is particularly dangerous as a lot of people think. Some brands like blue buffalo worry me a little

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats eat weruva,Dr elseys,farmina,orijen,hound&gatos wellness,simply nourish,tiki,nutro perfect portions,ff turkey&giblets. Very little fish. No dry or if you can only feed dry add water. Do a search for friskies here and you will get many people's opinions

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to mix his food up a little bit but I was wondering if people think friskies is particularly dangerous as a lot of people think.
I'm a believer of the phrase "where theres smoke there is fire". Perhaps not all cats have a problem with Friskies but why risk it when there are so many other types to choose from - maybe its only the ones from certain plants where they are produced? Theres no way everyone is in on it like some kind of hoax - if that many people are saying it then there's got to be something going on.

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do a lot of people give there cats tap water? I just found 2 guinea pigs a month ago and was told I should be giving them filtered water so I bought a Brita. My cat already has a fountain I recently bought but I just found out the filter thats supposed to get changed every month is $9. That's way to expensive for me when some of the other ones you can get a 12 pack for that price. None of the other filters seem compatible either. So I was wondering if it would be ok to just pour water from my Brita into the cat fountain and just getting rid of the filter. Would it still build up bacteria faster or should it work the same way. Replacing Brita filters for $30 a year is much cheaper

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have my other cat tap water for 9 years and this one for 2. Maybe that was the cause of there vomiting?

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat likes Purina pro wet tuna but idk if I can keep up with that. Don't they have any healthier varieties for 30 cents an ounce or less. With friskies I was getting 40 5.5 oz cans for $30. I know it shouldn't be that cheap but Purina pro just cost me $38 for 24 3 oz cans. That will last him 12 days.

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He still won't eat the smalls which is ok because I can't afford $100 every purchase

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise