Which cat dry food is good to avoid Kidney disease

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

Im new here!

I want my cat to avoid Kidney disease and they say low phosphorus content is best. I can't afford wet food so ill look for dry food.

These 2 brand here, one is low in phosphorus 0.6% but main ingredients is vegetable protien isolate (royal canine senior 12, uae) , the other is normal phosphorus but mostly meat ingredients grain free (instinct nature, uae).

Which of them is good? They say low phosphorus but other say grain free is good
Im confused
Screenshot_20240117-165515.png

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's a number of causes of kidney disease but generally water is helpful. Chronic Kidney Disease in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

I know you said you can't afford wet food, but even just 1/2 an inexpensive can like Fancy Feast Kitten with added water one a day or a can a few times a week is going to be so beneficial for prevention. If that's something you are able to consider at all.

Urinary foods will usually be lower in phosphorus than regular foods. There's many "over the counter" urinary foods at the pet stores. Here's Tanya's guide to the phosphorus in foods though: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Dry Food Data USA

Of the two foods listed:

To me, neither the foods listed are good. Cat food is still being studied so mind that most of what is said (by anyone, especially online) is opinion.

Vegetable protein is not something cats really digest so that's not great in the Royal Canin.

Then the Instinct has pea protein in it which is unknown whether or not pea protein causes heart disease in cats (studies are ongoing). You won't find a dry food that is both grain free and pea free. You'll have to pick which one you feel safer about.

Personally, in your shoes, I've done the whole high-quality grain free thing with no wet food and got absolutely nowhere with it. My cats were not healthier, did not need less vet care for non-routine care.
Now, I feed a less expensive dry food with grain and it allows me to feed wet food as well. I always recommend to friends and family that they choose an affordable food that allows them to save for vet care and that hopefully allows them to feed a single 3oz can of wet daily, with added water. The cats are more energetic and softer.

I've decided to ignore the grain-free craze until they can provide non-anecdotal evidence.
What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No matter what you feed your furbaby, there are absolutely no guarantees that they will remain healthy. Of course, you want to do what is best for them, but your question is what to feed to AVOID kidney disease. Having had three kidney cats, I'm here to say that sometimes no matter what you do it simply can't be avoided. My last kidney cat was raw fed, which is a natural diet for cats. I thought for certain she would be safe, but alas, not so. I now attribute our bad luck to our water, so with my now cats I only give them filtered water in their water bowls and mixed into their wet food. Thankfully, they have already lived longer without getting kidney disease than any of my kidney cats (knock wood):crossfingers:

As far as the foods, I totally agree with the above post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's a number of causes of kidney disease but generally water is helpful. Chronic Kidney Disease in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

I know you said you can't afford wet food, but even just 1/2 an inexpensive can like Fancy Feast Kitten with added water one a day or a can a few times a week is going to be so beneficial for prevention. If that's something you are able to consider at all.

Urinary foods will usually be lower in phosphorus than regular foods. There's many "over the counter" urinary foods at the pet stores. Here's Tanya's guide to the phosphorus in foods though: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Dry Food Data USA

Of the two foods listed:

To me, neither the foods listed are good. Cat food is still being studied so mind that most of what is said (by anyone, especially online) is opinion.

Vegetable protein is not something cats really digest so that's not great in the Royal Canin.

Then the Instinct has pea protein in it which is unknown whether or not pea protein causes heart disease in cats (studies are ongoing). You won't find a dry food that is both grain free and pea free. You'll have to pick which one you feel safer about.

Personally, in your shoes, I've done the whole high-quality grain free thing with no wet food and got absolutely nowhere with it. My cats were not healthier, did not need less vet care for non-routine care.
Now, I feed a less expensive dry food with grain and it allows me to feed wet food as well. I always recommend to friends and family that they choose an affordable food that allows them to save for vet care and that hopefully allows them to feed a single 3oz can of wet daily, with added water. The cats are more energetic and softer.

I've decided to ignore the grain-free craze until they can provide non-anecdotal evidence.
What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

Of the two foods listed:

Dude thanks. You answered throughly. It's very helpful. 😀