Which breed!?

randomsyllables

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I get tired of floundering around when someone asks for the breed of my cat.  Sure, it can be a pertinent question, like say, for medical reasons.  But she's just another random born mutt... actually, is there a term other than mutt that people used for cats?

Well, she isn't technically my cat.  She is my sister's cat.  But I have taken care of this cat once my sister had an actual human child to take care of.  Anyway, she was adopted from a shelter, so we don't even know what her mother looked like.

So... what do I say when someone asks for a breed?  Just say a mutt?  Heinz 57 is what my mother would often say... but that is a mouthful.  Or should I try and say what she most closely resembles?  

If that is the case, I still have no clue.

I mean, tabby is a coat pattern, not a breed, but often times my mother will say she's a gray tabby.  Well, that describes her, but not overly well, since tabby patterns come in varieties, not just stripes.  

Well after reading the article about tabby cats, I would have to say she is a marbled tabby.  Her colour is gray,  Perhaps some would argue I should use the term blue, but I can't bring myself to call her blue.  She's gray.  So, I got a gray marbled tabby... what? I'll add some low-quality pictures I took with my cellphone to see her coat, including that telltale tabby mask on her face.

Some other traits that she has are green eyes (the low quality picture doesn't show how beautiful her eyes are), slender long neck with a small head, and before her hips got old, she was an amazing jumper.  She could easily clear 6-8 feet in the air from a standstill jump.  She has extra skin connecting her thighs to her body that lets her straighten her hind legs out completely, almost slightly bend them backwards.  But when she is just standing normally, she looks perpetually like a female cat that recently gave birth, because the skin is loose and hangs down, even sort of swishes side to side when she trots.  Yes.  Trots.  This cat likes to trot more than scamper or bound.  

Since personality can indicate breeds, I'll share some of that as well.  When she purrs, she also sort of coos like a pigeon.  She is fairly vocal and extremely friendly.  She does require a fair amount of attention.  She does not mind strangers at all.  In fact she is highly curious.  She is also hotly territorial and screams fiercely at anything that shows up in the backyard... aside from prey, that is.  So cats, dogs, raccoon, she treats them all with extreme aggression.  She is extremely preoccupied with cleanliness and, barring illness, will absolutely not urinate or defecate anywhere but the litter box or specific places outside. She likes to be pet and have her belly rubbed, and trusts most people (aside from children - but that was a long lesson for her to learn) deeply enough to touch just about anywhere on her.  She'll even put up with having her feet touched most of the time.

A lot of that is probably just individuality, but like I said, some behaviour is more likely in some breeds than others.

So, what do people think?  Closest likely breed for this cat-mutt?

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks like a domestic short hair Tabby (Tabby is the striped color pattern).

Another word for 'mutt' regarding cats is a Moggie

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could we have a good clear photo of the side?   I wonder if she isnt a classic "marbled" tabby, not the more common, striped mackerel tabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

randomsyllables

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try to find a better picture of her fur pattern, but she isn't really striped on her body.  Her legs have stripes, and she has spots on her tummy.  She is just a hard cat to photograph because there isn't a lot of contrast between her lighter and darker coloured fur, except on her face.

A domestic shorthair?  That is simple enough.  And 'Moggie' seems better than mutt, because the word mutt has heavy connotations towards being canine.  That is the sort of word I'm looking for! 

I am going to set out to find a good picture of this dear animal!  All I have is a really crummy cell phone camera available to me, but my sister might have pictures!  I hope that she does!  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I will try to find a better picture of her fur pattern, but she isn't really striped on her body.  Her legs have stripes, and she has spots on her tummy.  She is just a hard cat to photograph because there isn't a lot of contrast between her lighter and darker coloured fur, except on her face.

A domestic shorthair?  That is simple enough.  And 'Moggie' seems better than mutt, because the word mutt has heavy connotations towards being canine.  That is the sort of word I'm looking for! 

I am going to set out to find a good picture of this dear animal!  All I have is a really crummy cell phone camera available to me, but my sister might have pictures!  I hope that she does!  
What I want to know, is if she has that "bulls eye", a circle, on her side.  IF so, she is that classic tabby or marbled or blotcher or bulls-eye tabby...

Spots on tummy and stripes on legs do have both mackerel tigrered tabbies and classical... Yeah, even spotted tabbies do have them   :)