Which breed is more suitable for a Persian to be friends with a mainecoon or a ragdoll

crazypetlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I have a young Persian cat who is 18 month old and I'm looking to get him a friend which need would be most compatible with the cheeky laid back Persian breed a mainecoon or a ragdoll

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly think it goes on individual characters as opposed to the specific breed. If it were me, I'd go to a shelter and talk to them about the persian's character and try to find a good match that way. It's in the shelter's interests to find you the best match possible, and you'll be able to get a much better sense of the prospective newbie's character (especially if you go for a cat closer to your persian's age). The best plus of all is that you'll be giving a home to a cat in need, and that's an amazing gift to give an animal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazypetlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice. I am actually fostering a cat at the minute, he was badly abused and doesn't really know how to be a cat at the minute but he seems to fit in well with the others and has been caught playing with my Persian. I'm getting slightly attached to him, maybe a option to adopt him, though do you think I should wait till he's 100% better before I enquiring about adopting him ? Or do you think there would of been problems already if there was going to be, he's been here a month and although not fully confident there has been no fights or conflicts

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If this foster is fitting in well now then I can't see any reason why it would suddenly change. Talk to the shelter about him. It found to me like you may just have found your new cat! :hyper:

(This is the reason I could never foster - I'd end up wanting to keep each and every one of them :lol3: )

crazypetlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I've officially failed at fostering this lovely boy. I emailed the boss who has said yes to me adopting him and when l do The paper work on Saturday he will be mine.
That's the only reason I was thinking of a pedigree as I didn't want to fail at fostering, though . I made the mistake with him off letting him intergrate with my lot and the way he was when he came really got to me. Imnot so bad with wanting the kittens as most people want kittens when they visit the cattery so they aren't there long and my older cat wouldn't thank me if I brought a Kitten home to stay and kittens are a look naughty (but so cute)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your new furbaby! :clap: If you're going to 'fail' at anything, then this has to be the best way to do it...the outcome is still a win - win imo :nod:

crazypetlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha yeah thats very true, thanks very happy he doesnt need to go back :-)

crazypetlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks mollyblue :-) glad im not the only one. Hes such a sweet boy despite what hes been through. Was touch and go as to weather he could be ever adopted due to his behaviour when he came in but poor cat was just scared and in pain, hes slowly learning how to be a cat now

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@crazypetlady  he is lukcy to have you!  Snowy had been through lots too, and here she was in her cage looking lost and forlorn with her mangy hair, snuffy nose and matted up eyes.  When we went to foster, we had just very recently lost a cat following a long illness.  We didn't want another sick cat... we didn't want vet bills, we didn't want the time commitment a special needs cat requires... but here we are!

I can't wait to see pictures of your guys hanging out and growing togehter  :D

So resident kitty is 18 months... how old is newly adopted kitty?  What kind is he?  I think you are lucky the two cats are getting along.  That is really the most important.  I  mean you could find the perfect cat, but if resident cat didn't like him, or vice versa, they could make your life very rough!

crazypetlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww poor snowy, looks like shes landed on her feet now. I have 2 resident kitties one is a rescue black cat who 12 and a half and recently had her eye removed due to cancer and a bullet removed that must of been there years before i got her and my rescue persian who is 18 month when i first got him i had a ragdoll kitten the same age but he was ill whn u bought him and developed fip and passed away at 7 month, that was a year ago and couldn't bear another kitty for so long but its been a year and oliver would definetly benefit from a younger cat that wants to play more then my old girl does, hard to pair him with another cat as he is so gentle other cats can be to rough.

New kitty milo is a black and white domestic shorthair and is around 4 years old and has quite unusual features, possibly because of his late neauter. The rescue have been trying to get him for years but with no luck till recently, he was bald and very skinny with a bad skin condition and hes obviously been beaten. When he came into rescue he was in so much pain he was lashing out and was thought he may un homeable which would mean forever foster or put to sleep so i was asked to try build his confidece

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Milo is gorgeous! :heart3: I'm not surprised he persuaded you to keep him! What a lucky boy to have found such a great new mom and wonderful forever home :clap:

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Milo is handsome, and looking very confident in that photo!  Glad to hear your cats are all getting along and that Milo finally has a nice safe place to call home. I am sorry about your ragdoll. Losing our fur babies is very difficult but I am sure Oliver would be glad you are honoring him by helping another cat.

Do you plan to foster again after this?  We didn't plan to foster again as we were unhappy with our experience fostering, but we did end up taking in a stray/feral calico who was pregnant.  Now we have Snowy, Tati (who we got to be Snowy's mate) Buttercup (the calico) and Theo (her lone surviving offspring who is 10 weeks). Our intent was to only home Buttercup long enough to socialize her, let her birth her babies, get her fixed and find homes for her and the babies... but we have put out some feelers and no one is expressing interest in Buttercup, and I think my daughter is getting attached.  The worst part is that Buttercup wants to kill the resident cats.    

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I don't think you can choose a cat for compatibility based solely on breed. It has more to do with personality and temperment. While several breeds are noted for specific characteristics, that is a 'guideline' and not a given. As we all know, there are as many personalities in cats as there are cats.

I have two cats. Keeker is a DSH and Kricket is a Maine Coon. They are 18 months old and I got them when they were about 6 weeks old.
Two completely different breeds with completely different personalities and traits.

Keeker is dominant, feisty and active, aloof, mildly aggressive, an instigator, and very independent. Kricket is more submissive, laid-back and casual, gives and demands a lot of attention and affection, and the only thing that ruffles his feathers is the vacuum.

They complement each other perfectly! While Keeker keeps Kricket active and entertained, Kricket keeps Keeker more grounded. They  fight like typical adolescent boys, then turn around and groom each other and curl together on the couch. 

You said that your foster cat is seemingly fitting in and you caught him playing with your Persian. Enough said! If they are getting along, what more could you ask for? 

Rather than making a choice based on statistics, make your choice by what you know. Better yet, let your cats make the choice... it seems they already have. Not to mention that you are already 'slightly attached to him'. 

By all rights, if I had chosen my boys strictly on their breed and likelihood of being 'compatible', I wouldn't have either of them. I chose them because they are cats and I couldn't have hand picked any better cats than the two I have.

Don't doubt yourself or the decision you've already made. 

View media item 304477

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two cats are like litter brothers. Whisky was an abandoned siamese and blighty is a naughty black and white cat from the streets. They also fight and then groom each other. They're both males. Or at least they were. ;-)