Which Brands Are Bpa-free?

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. So after perusing all the wet food options available at PetSmart today, I found about 10 cans of turkey or mixed turkey to try out on my turkey pate kitty. I then found myself balancing my basket on a shelf as I used my cellphone to check if the brands I chose are BPA-free. :please:Some companies thankfully answer this simple question in the FAQs on their website. Others don't :gaah:...maybe meaning they do contain BPA...I messaged two so will hopefully hear back soon.

Is there a list of BPA-free brands on this site or does anyone have a list? Apparently, some companies might be lying about being BPA-free? See 2nd link.

Pets Beware: Toxic Chemicals in Pet Food Cans

BPA Lies

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy says their american journey cans are bpa free. the newest food i have tried, Caru says their cartons are bpa free. It is hard to find this out sometimes. I will try to check some of my others later.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I recommend getting a cart next time you want to use your cell phone in the store.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recommend getting a cart next time you want to use your cell phone in the store.
I don't like pushing a cart for 10 small cans of food. If I put them in the top area, some always fall, but thanks for your comment.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So obviously we don’t want chemicals in our pets, but how does BPA affect the health of a cat? I’ve tried looking online and get vague statements about it may cause a variety of things, and that BPA does accumulate in dogs from canned food so we know that they are being exposed. But I haven’t found a good article that tells me what research has showed this.

Does anyone have a link to any scientific study that shows what the affects could be? Or is this one of those carrageenan debates where there is a risk potential but the studies have not been done yet?

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
So obviously we don’t want chemicals in our pets, but how does BPA affect the health of a cat? I’ve tried looking online and get vague statements about it may cause a variety of things, and that BPA does accumulate in dogs from canned food so we know that they are being exposed. But I haven’t found a good article that tells me what research has showed this.

Does anyone have a link to any scientific study that shows what the affects could be? Or is this one of those carrageenan debates where there is a risk potential but the studies have not been done yet?
I just know that for a long while now, I've heard about companies removing BPA from plastic containers for humans, so it makes sense that we want BPA-free containers for our pets too. If you look at some plastic water bottles, for example, they say "BPA-free." I saw somewhere on this website some posts about BPA-free cans and added it to my list of things I don't want in my cat's wet food.

Hopefully, someone will answer your question with links to research articles, etc. Did you read the first link about hormone levels and illness?

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I did read the first two articles but it kind of just had a laundry list of things. I was interested in the details behind it.

Maybe I’d have better results looking at the human studies and assume it’s worse since cats are so much tinier.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise

There actually was a scientific study on carrageenan's effects on dogs. It was small, but good enough for the FDA to consider banning carrageenan in human foods.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Daisy6 Daisy6 Do you have a link for the study? I'd be interested to read it. I avoid carrageenan in cat food, but I am always looking for more information.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most of what i have read about BPA shows it to be an Endocrine disrupter. That it may contribute to hyperthyroid? I dont have any articles or links, this is just my big take on it. Like carrageenan and several other things, i dont know if its a proven or not, but i try to avoid it, safe rather than sorry. If it comes down to food a or food b and one does not have these ingredients then thats the one i will buy. I try not to freak, but i do read labels and buy the brands that have less of the ingredients i dont like.... so hard to find them sometimes.

Anyone else pull the magnifier glass out in the pet store to read labels? :flail:

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone else pull the magnifier glass out in the pet store to read labels?
Oh, that's a great idea! I remember being home and trying to check how many calories were in a food (I now have 6 in rotation and I forget) and I could barely see it. The font was smaller than any other can! I know have a little printed out table taped to the inside of the cabinet for staple foods. :blush:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's a great idea! I remember being home and trying to check how many calories were in a food (I now have 6 in rotation and I forget) and I could barely see it. The font was smaller than any other can! I know have a little printed out table taped to the inside of the cabinet for staple foods. :blush:
yes, but if my husband is with me he walks away shaking his head at the crazy cat lady and her magnifying glass reading food labels..:lol:

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like husbands don't understand the amazing thing that is cat food any more than boyfriends. Can you believe that Randall didn't even want to look at the pantry after I got a shipment of cat food in!? It was glorious, but he went to go play videogames instead. :(

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like husbands don't understand the amazing thing that is cat food any more than boyfriends. Can you believe that Randall didn't even want to look at the pantry after I got a shipment of cat food in!? It was glorious, but he went to go play videogames instead. :(
Same at my house. and if mine does look then he grouches that there is "way" more cat food in the house than husband food....:wavey: that may be true..lol

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's a great idea! I remember being home and trying to check how many calories were in a food (I now have 6 in rotation and I forget) and I could barely see it. The font was smaller than any other can! I know have a little printed out table taped to the inside of the cabinet for staple foods.
What I do is look for the matching label on Amazon to read the product's ingredient list in a font that does not require magnifying glasses.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone else pull the magnifier glass out in the pet store to read labels? :flail:
I could have used a magnifying glass yesterday! The font was practically unreadable on one. I looked it up online.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I do is look for the matching label on Amazon to read the product's ingredient list in a font that does not require magnifying glasses.
lol i can do that at home. but not on a small phone in the store.. i would be there forever trying to look up on my little phone. My old bad eyes make everything so much more difficult! :) I didn't realize how great good eyes were, when i had them :(