Which Blood Test?

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, in a month we'll be moving overseas and we're getting the cats ready for the long flight. We still have a month to go with their usual vet and I was wondering, at their age, what tests should be mandatory for them? They are 13 and 8 months old, and the vet never suggested they do any blood test but I am wondering if they should. They only had the usual shots and nothing else. They are strictly indoor only. I am guessing it's too early to do a precautional test of their kidney functions though.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In my experience, most vets do not push for blood tests at that age unless you ask for them, which I have at times. However, with moving overseas, I would probably want a baseline reading to take with me, not to mention to troubleshoot early if something comes up. If by mandatory you mean cleared to board a plane and to disembark in a foreign country, that is a different matter. You do need certain clearances and paperwork in order to even get on the plane. I hope that you are cleared for all that because in the case of some countries, and even states, one month might not be enough time.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten had blood work done at 6 months old, checked kidney and liver function among other things. I had it done because she was having some problems, it wasn't routine. Many vets do blood work prior to surgeries and anesthesia, like spay/neuter operations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I haven't been clear: all the vet work is done already for moving overseas, the company only accepts payment and bookings once the pets are ready so that has been done.

I was talking about precautionary tests, in order to find out if there's something wrong (completely by chance, since neither of them has any issues).

They're both neutered, but one has been neutered before I adopted him, the other one has been spayed but the vet didn't do any blood work to my knowledge.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My senior cat is now getting a Total Body Function blood work up - super chemical check, CBC, and god knows what else. I know it includes liver, kidney enzymes, glucose, etc. For me, about $110. Maybe ask vet about that as a baseline to take with you?