Which Air Purifier Is Best For Cat Dander/hair?

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 long haired cats and they shed like crazy. I've been searching for an air purifier that will help in collecting all the hair that's in the air and everywhere. I did purchase the Hamilton Beach true pet purifier that does a really good job collecting hair but it's a small unit and I'd like one that can take on a larger room.

After all my research these are the ones that I'm thinking about. Please let me know if you know anything about them, good or bad, and which one you would suggest.

Thank you in advance for your help.
  1. Winix WAC5500
  2. winix 9500 (PET)
  3. Winix freshmen P300
  4. Winix C555
  5. Winix NK100 Tower
  6. Rabbit air bioGS 2.0 550A
  7. Conway 1512 hh
  8. Alan Breathesmart Fit50
  9. Alan breathesmart
  10. Blueair Blue 211+

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you brush them everyday? That would probably help the most.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do brush them, although not daily.

I purchased the Coway Mighty hh1512 air purifier because it has good reviews, covers 300+ feet and is reasonably priced. I'm not really sure if it's doing anything. I don't have allergies but I have family members who visit once in awhile and they have allergies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently purchased the Coway Mighty hh1512 air purifier because it has good reviews, covers 300+ feet and is reasonably priced. I'm not really sure if it's doing anything. I don't have allergies but I have family members who visit once in awhile and they have very bad allergies to cats.

How can I tell if the air purifier is working?

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I used an air purifier it had a HEPA filter. It also had a replaceable charcoal filter. Sometimes I put a high efficiency filter in my furnace too. Those are rated by something called MERV. Higher numbers capturing smaller particles....I usually tried to find a furnace filter that was MERV 13 or higher....I think they go up to 16 or 18 maximum.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a philips 2000 series thats quite good.

The key is to get an air filter that has a large surface area. The ones that are vertical have too small a surface area to trap hair.

Having a carbon or hepa filter isnt all that important for fur since it isnt exactly microscopic.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have 2 Rabbit Airs. We have the sleek Minus 2 model. One in the bedroom and one in our main living area.

Stopped wheezing the first night the one in the bedroom was plugged in. Both of also stopped snoring. Who knew?

If you can afford Rabbit, go for it. Honestly don't think you can find better and, more so, they have customized filters for whatever is your worst allergen.

FYI Blue Air is No. 2. My allergist recommended both but we liked the looks of the Rabbit better and, I got it on sale (they rarely do sales though).

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recently purchased the Coway Mighty hh1512 air purifier because it has good reviews, covers 300+ feet and is reasonably priced. I'm not really sure if it's doing anything. I don't have allergies but I have family members who visit once in awhile and they have very bad allergies to cats.

How can I tell if the air purifier is working?
You'll stop sneezing and wheezing.

300 sf is kind of on the small side though. The one we have covers up to 700 I believe. The real test is how many air exchanges it does per hour. The more it can handle, the better it will be at reducing allergens. And keeping it clean too. We clean the filters monthly and purchase a brand new pack yearly.