Where to put cat tree?

Trekkie19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

So I just adopted a 1 year old spayed female cat about 2 weeks ago. She's been great, but I don't have a big apartment so I wanted to get her a cat tree to play around in while I'm gone at work.

What I'm wondering is where to put it. I had been thinking the kitchen - she does have issues jumping on the kitchen counter and when I googled this issue a random suggestion was to have an alternative climbing source in the kitchen. At the same time, the kitchen does not have any immediate window, and I wonder if putting it just to the side of the window in the living room would be better, so she can get a good view outside? (She is an indoor cat at this point, btw).

I will note this morning that she did try to jump up on the oven after I had just moved a boiling pot and immediately jumped down upon either feeling/touching the burner (I haven't seen any damage on her paws so I don't know if she touched it directly, maybe just felt it and wisely decided to move away). Perhaps this will have solved her kitchen counter issue?

Anyhow, any advice or opinions you guys have would be much appreciated! Thank you!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly I would just get two cat trees. One cat tree for the kitchen so she has some place appropriate and safe to sit and be redirected to in the kitchen, and one for the living room by the window so she can look outside.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the two cat trees, once can never have enough lol. I have 4 for 3 cats, and a few hammocks to which they love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trekkie19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm, well I'll construct the one first, then consider getting a second..just a rather small apartment, so might be too crowded. But I will consider it.

If you guys had to choose just one, what do you think you would go with?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with the window view . While cats like to see what is going on in the kitchen, the view from a window provides much more entertainment.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about a cat tree in the kitchen. That might just encourage your cat to view the kitchen as another area to play in. Kitchens have hazards, namely hot stoves. There's a TCS article on how to discourage cats from getting on counters:

I would put a tree in the living area and another one in the bedroom. The trees don't have to be huge floor to ceiling type. A small tree that fits in your space will work well.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its nice to have a short one of the kind with a lounge area on top near the chair you hang out or watch tv on. That way, when the cat wants to be near you, it doesn't *always* have to be on your lap, or behind your head, the first being a bit much at times, and the second being hard to interact with. (Ok, I'm skipping cat on the armrest, but my cats dont usually like that even when the armrest is big enough.)

I use them as extra storage/drink holders when the cat isn't in there . . . which occasionally leads to accidents, but its still a kill two birds with one stone kind of deal -- easy to pet the cat, gets cat off the lap, and drink storage. Oh wait, thats three birds...